Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Monthly Passes

Monthly Passes 21 Jun 2001 10:42 #23015

• dr
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
AMC is trying to implement th monthly ticket passes that become popular in France and the U.K. The criticism comes from two main points. One being that it could dulute how much money distributors make each time a moviegoer visits his local theater. It could also AMC's market share, and trigger copycats who cannibalize one another.

I think its a bad idea! What about the mom-and-pop theater operators? How are they supposed to compete? Would it crush their business if there were AMC theaters in their area selling monthly passes?

What are your thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Monthly Passes 22 Jun 2001 11:15 #23016

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
It cuts both ways. In Europe the theatres who did not do passes have had to follow along or lose biz. There has been criticsm that the passes have created a dumbed down patron who doesn't care about "the" movie and they just come in to hang out, walk from film to film, etc. In Europe they love talking with each other and and on cell phones and a pass doesn't discourage that it encourages.

But... in a small town with intense regulars I think I'd be for it. I get their money in advance. If they go or not I still get it. If they are sick in bed, on vacation, who knows where.. they are paid up.

I'm not ready to try it but it seems like an idea that is coming. Maybe make it a frequent flyer card with miles!

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Monthly Passes 22 Jun 2001 11:44 #23017

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
As a movie goer I don't know if I would be for the passes. If you purchased one for a month and there were only a couple good films then I would feel like I lost. I like having the freedom to decide when and where I go to a movie theater. I might feel locked into a theater buying a pass.

Re: Monthly Passes 10 Jul 2001 10:46 #23018

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
If you live in my town you are locked in. Unless you like to drive. I have many persons who go to 1-3 movies each week. They'd do great. I think I wouldn't. Unless they decided to stay home or went away. Maybe we'll try it. Reporting becomes the big deal. Not to mention the distribs checkers in your theatre. The passes are in the 16-18.00 a month range.

Mike Hurley www.bigscreenbiz.com

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited July 10, 2001).]
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Monthly Passes 18 Oct 2001 12:18 #23019

I'd buy monthly tickets in a heartbeat because I go to the movies on a regular basis, at least twice a week. So when a theater near me starts selling them, I'll be in line.

Re: Monthly Passes 19 Oct 2001 12:14 #23020

I just found this article on line reguarding monthly passes. AMC was considering it but has put it on hold.

AMC Delays Passes
AMC Entertainment said it is postponing the planned national rollout of its controversial monthly movie pass until the second quarter of next year or later. The Kansas City, MO-based circuit had originally eyed a January rollout, but was hit with a barrage of complaints from distributors, who feared the plan’s financial impact. The program will continue to be tested in Omaha and Oklahoma City, but since data from the two markets were nearly identical, the company has also scuttled plans to expand the test to additional markets.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction