Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How To Be Fair

How To Be Fair 11 Jul 2000 10:20 #22876

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
I find myself with a problem here and am looking for some suggestions. I have seven people working for me. They are all good employees and I have no complaints. The problem is with giving everyone equal time. Two of the people were just fill-ins for vacations and sickness. But now I would like to put them on full time also. The full timers feel like they are being delt with unfairly because they loose hours. Does any one out there have any suggestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: How To Be Fair 13 Jul 2000 08:18 #22877

• Linda
  • Gold Boarder
This is really a no win situation. If your regular people are really good, you don't want to take a chance on losing them, because they aren't getting the hours they want. But, on the other hand, if the 2 fill ins are really good, you don't want to lose them either. BUT, I think it would be more important to keep your regular full time people happy, because you know for sure they are good and can be counted on. The fill-ins are basically unknown quantities. They may be really good when they fill in, but they might not be when they have more responsibilites and hours. Maybe you could tell them, they will be the first ones considered when you have to add more full time people and leave everything as it is for now.
I realize that this has probably been no help at all. Bottom line, though, you have to do what best for your business. If you have hours to add to your payroll, go for it, but if adding people would cut the hours of people you know are good, you can't take the chance of losing them.
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: How To Be Fair 13 Jul 2000 10:21 #22878

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Linda for reply. I have decided to stay with the way things are. My fill-in people arn't to happy with that. But like you said, I felt that keeping my good full timers happy. Its just good to be able to throw something like this out to other theatre owners to see what they think. It helps confirm that your doing the right thing.

Re: How To Be Fair 14 Jul 2000 18:19 #22879

• Mike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
You can't just cut peoples hours because you found someone you like better. If you want to do that you should probably fire someone. Otherwise why would you want to replace them? Or: grow your business a little, find something for them to do.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: How To Be Fair 17 Jul 2000 09:31 #22880

• GREGBORR
  • Gold Boarder
You should not cut the hours of your regulars, this will send the wrong message to your faithful employees. If you have a good group of people already and do not have the room during regular hours you have one of two choices.

1. Explain to the part-timers that they are first in line for the next full-time position. Let them know you appreciate their effort and will reward them the first chance you get. If you are paying them less per hr. than the full time staff, possibly give them a raise as a token of your appreciation. Explain the situation from your and the other employees perspective, they will appreciate the honesty.

2. If you have any special projects that you have been putting off have the two part-timers do them. I.E. painting the bathrooms, cleaning the carpet, re-decorating, etc. It will be a good way to increase their hours and make progress at the same time.

Greg Borr
Ready Theatre Systems
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction