Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sony Prints from Technicolor

Sony Prints from Technicolor 20 Mar 2000 00:01 #22841

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As a second exhibitor I would like to share my lastest revelation from the mavens at Technicolor. I recently received a print of Girl Interrupted. There were no bands around any of the reels (They were just thrown in the cans); there were no leaders on any of the reels (they also were just thrown in the cans but at least some had left a frame on each leader so I could determine what went with what); the film on the reels which was also not taped down had begun to unspool on several of the reels; one of the plastic reels (which never work anyway) was smashed to pieces .... and to top it all off the print was so badly scratched that some of my customers asked for a refund. This is second time I have received such a Sony print from Technicolor.

When I called Technicolor to complain I was told it was not Technicolor's fault - Sony did not pay to have their prints inspected (in Technicolor's jargon - Sony did not pay for that level of service). When I asked why someone did not at least open the cans, I was told that when it comes to Sony all Technicolor does is slap a label on and send it back out. If I didn't like it I should take it up with Sony.

When Techniclor started they promised better service then we had experienced before .... Well at least with ETS they open the cans before they ship a second run print out!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Sony Prints from Technicolor 20 Mar 2000 05:58 #22842

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
And the worst thing is that another projectionist set it all up! We've received the same sort of delivery... sometimes 30 minutes before show time. There is no doubt that Technicolor is doing a bizzare job. Perhaps they're being told to do this to soften us up for digital?

One thing I loved from Sho West was that technicolor gave us a trailer vcr tape with about 150 coming sttracts on it! Now that i can use!
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Sony Prints from Technicolor 02 May 2000 02:52 #22843

• Bluewater
  • Fresh Boarder
I can certainly understand your pain.
As a projectionist, one always loves getting a completely unprepped print 30 minutes prior to exhibition that is a total disaster. Leaders flying all over the place...oh the humanity!

As far as Technicolor trying to push people out so they'll edge towards digital, I could honestly see that happening. There are so many rabidly pro-Digital/anti-film entities in the cinema...sometimes I am suprised they just haven't said to heck with it, lets go full digital now. The theaters would be left holding the bag (ie "If you don't upgrade to digital, no movie for you. No movie, no customers. No customers, no payroll. Get the picture?".

Dont get me wrong, I feel digital projection will be the best way to go provided they can deal with quality and price issues. Maybe 5-10 years if they keep at it.

BM

Re: Sony Prints from Technicolor 02 May 2000 09:08 #22844

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
5-10 years seems about right. For all the talk of digital I don't know one theatre owner or company who's willing to pay for it. I think you'll see it leak in screen by screen until there's a proven system of proj and product delivery. 35mm will be here long after I'm gone. Having just screened the world with brand new 35mm equip I'd like to see the salesman go back into India and say "Oh we're not using that stuff anymore."
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Sony Prints from Technicolor 02 May 2000 20:44 #22845

• Bluewater
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Mike. I think a lot of theaters will buy it after it's a bit more perfected (so to speak) and been out for awhile. Right now, aside from actually running prints in home screening rooms (which some of us have built), digital home theater is the way to go (if you can afford it). Of course it's easier to design a system for a smaller home theater...probably one of the big reasons sound at home tends to be better than most theaters.

As far as 35mm being around, yeah...it will live on for years yet...maybe even centuries. Right now, I figure in 5-10 years many of the multi-plexs (large chains ie GC etc) will have a number of digital auditoriums. Of course, people being the lemmings we are for "new technologies" will flock. :P

BM
At least DIVX flopped.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction