Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth AMC's Empire 25 in NYC is now $12.50 a Ticket
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: AMC's Empire 25 in NYC is now $12.50 a Ticket

Re: AMC's Empire 25 in NYC is now $12.50 a Ticket 11 Jun 2003 11:22 #21519

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The fallacy with such arguments as Ticket for a Yankee game cost XXXX and Tickets for Hockey Game cost YYYY is that a theatre's direct competion is not the Yankees or the hockey players but the DVDs and home theatre. This is the cost which the theatre owner should be msot concerned.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: AMC's Empire 25 in NYC is now $12.50 a Ticket 12 Jun 2003 17:36 #21520

• Alysa
  • Senior Boarder
A general comment, if that's OK. I am one of those people that “Muviebuf” refers to and, in my personal opinion, “Muviebuf” makes a very valid observation. IMHO, DVD rentals & Home-theaters can pose an economic threat to your theater business.

I don’t know all/some/any of the answers but would like to offer some personal observations.

From my experience moviegoers fall into three broad general groups; (1) kids, teenagers, and young dating adults, (2) families with children, and (3) married adults and film/theater lovers.

I personally don’t think theaters will ever lose kids, teenagers, and young dating adults. To them, movies are a social “thing” and irrespective of the ticket-price, movie quality, rolling commercials, or theater ambiance/quality – they will always make up the base audience.

I fear DVD rental/sales are becoming, more and more, the alternative to “families with children” - due primarily to the economics of our times. It’s not difficult to see the difference between $3.99 for a DVD versus $30/Tkts for a family of four. While they may occasionally go to the movies, the probability is that such visits are infrequent. Sometimes I think it would be nice if theaters offered some type of “family ticket package” so as to get these families to addend on a more regular basis – it works for Disneyland..

The old curmudgeons and movie/theater lovers fall into the third group. They either feel as though few movies are made for them these days or that wish to relive the movie experiences of their ancient past. This group is most likely to be the ones to invest in a home-theater. They can watch high-quality movies in home theaters that can sometimes rival the quality of some commercial theaters.

Being in this last group, and speaking only for myself, I am unconcerned whether the tix price is $8.50 or $14.00. I will “happily” pay the extra amount (and relegate my home-theater to Ebay) if I can be assured the theater owner gets the extra $$ - extra profit for high-quality theater presentations, commercial free, and class showmanship.

Some of the posts in this forum are from independent owners who really want to make their theaters special and give the sense they really want to give the moviegoer their very best – to them I can say “Thank You”. I wish I lived in your city..

(Personal note: for those who might like to read some of the comments/reasons why people, frustrated with the movie going experiences, turn to home-theaters – you might want to venture over to the various ‘home theater’ website forums. I’m sure they would love to hear from those of you on the front lines of running a theater.)

(P.S. for anyone living in/around Los Angeles, the "Orpheum" theater is screening Gregory Peck's "To Kill a Mockingbird" this coming Wednesday evening). He will be missed.

Alysa

The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction