Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Knock, Knock

Knock, Knock 11 Jan 2014 15:19 #40540

• revrobor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
One of my Simplex 35s has developed a sound that, if it were in my car's engine, I could only describe as a knock. The machine seems to have plenty of oil as it splashes on the glass. Do I need to worry?

Bob
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Knock, Knock 12 Jan 2014 17:03 #40541

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
yes/ something is loose and hitting something. Often a set screw will back off.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Knock, Knock 15 Jan 2014 00:24 #40544

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The only knocking I ever had in a Simplex was a failing intermittent. Turn the projector manually. If you hear or feel the sound when the intermittent begins to move, that's probably what's going on.

That the oil is hitting the glass doesn't mean it's getting into the intermittent. Near the part that "sprays" the oil is a cone that is supposed to collect some of it and drip it into the intermittent. You can at least try to see if that is happening.

Unfortunately, once an intermittent starts knocking, the damage is usually done. You might be able to find a replacement on Ebay, or the like. A rebuilt used to run in the $900 range.

If you haven't changed an intermittent in any projector before, don't try this by yourself the first time. It's almost a certainty that the shutter timing will have to be reset... another thing that isn't necessarily hard to do, but you should have an experienced tech work you through the process a couple of times in person.

The back cover gasket and projector casing will need to be cleaned before replacing the door, so you can minimize the possibility of oil leaks.

Good luck!

Knock, Knock 15 Jan 2014 21:27 #40549

• revrobor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
As I get my head close to the projector the sound seems to be coming from the intermittent. I'll try what you said. Thanks.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Knock, Knock 16 Jan 2014 18:26 #40550

• revrobor
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Well guess what? The laff is on me. As I was checking that machine today I grabbed the shaft holding the roller from the platter and the knock, knock stopped. It was that roller and shaft vibrating that created the knock, knock sound. :blush:
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction