Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Digital FINALLY

Digital FINALLY 17 Apr 2013 23:23 #39916

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Well... it has finally happened, the Roxy entered the digital age. We have been a digital theatre now for exactly a week. The matinee last Wednesday April 10th was our final 35mm showing. The evening show went on digitally.

I put in the Christie CP2220 with a Dolby server, Both very easy to use, and a fantastic presentation. I've heard good things from other exhibitors about Barcos and NEC's as well. The final decision came down to lens location. Christie was the only one with the lens on the left side. The others were either in the middle or on the right. We need to have room to roll out our sound rack for service and enough space to operate the dimmer handles during stage shows. We didn't want to have to cut a new port window through the brick wall, so in order to get the space we needed the left side lens was what did the trick.

I already don't miss carrying those heavy film boxes up and down the stairs to the booth. Now I hope that I won't have to add a comment to the Digital Nightmares topic at some point. Fingers are crossed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Digital FINALLY 18 Apr 2013 00:38 #39917

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
So the last operator who needed to convert to digital has switched.

Digital FINALLY 18 Apr 2013 18:24 #39923

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Realistically, there is only usability differences between the three DLP projection companies. Almost all of the electronics are standardized by the DCI specs and Texas Instruments themselves, so image quality is virtually identical between the three.

Glad to hear you are liking the new system.

Digital FINALLY 22 Apr 2013 12:58 #39927

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
congratulations Roxy..... I think you will really like the booking and programming side of digital. There are still thousands of screens that are 35mm. But each day less and less.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Digital FINALLY 02 Jul 2013 11:39 #40111

• FFLscreen
  • Fresh Boarder
Haha.. I also hate taking those heavy films up and down the stairs. Ah.. digital.. I can't wait.

Digital FINALLY 05 Jul 2013 13:55 #40118

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
My analogy for going from 35 mm to digital was this: you go over to someone's house and they point out they just painted the living room but you don't really notice anything different. But paint your own living room and it screams new, clean, clear, brilliant. I was blown away by how good the picture was when we converted. I do not miss film and the problems in my one theatre with film remaining far outweigh problems with the digital theatre.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Digital FINALLY 04 Sep 2013 08:50 #40275

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
It has been awhile since I have been on here. But I wanted to say congrats to Roxy and Mike and everyone else who has converted.
Both of my little single screen theaters are still in business. My towns have been fundraising and collected $30,000 last week. I have an install date in November for both theaters. I, too, am looking forward to not having to deal with the heavy 35mm boxes. I had to have major back surgery last year and do not lift much more than 20# now.

Digital FINALLY 05 Sep 2013 16:06 #40276

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Burney, good to hear from you! I guess I thought you were getting out of the business since it's been awhile. Glad to see otherwise. Good luck on your fundraising efforts!
"What a crazy business"

Digital FINALLY 06 Sep 2013 20:58 #40277

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
We just took delivery of one Christie CP4220 and three Christie Solaria Ones to replace our very tried and true Century pjs.

Digital FINALLY 02 Nov 2013 15:46 #40398

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We too are now installing digital...the new screen goes in today!

My community raised 70,000 and I also had a 35,000 grant (micro enterprise state grant, NY) to convert my two screens. The theater is historic and the people here want it to remain a part of their community.

I am so thankful that the community members here have this much faith in my ability to run their theater...and so thankful to live in Tupper Lake!

Digital FINALLY 03 Nov 2013 02:48 #40400

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
When Is the grand opening!

Digital FINALLY 03 Nov 2013 05:07 #40401

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Congratulations Sals and Andrew!
Me, three :cheer:
My community has also raised $70,000 and we have a couple fundraisers to go. I, too, al very grateful to my little communities. My new screen in Burney went up Thursday. All the equipment came last week and will be installed at both of my (single) theaters starting Tuesday. I built up my last print Thursday. It was kind of sad.

Digital FINALLY 08 Nov 2013 21:24 #40413

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We open again Nov. 15 with THOR and GRAVITY in 3D/2D, both!

In the booth right now...exciting times!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

Digital FINALLY 30 Jan 2014 05:50 #40585

• Ibcjlani
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey everyone! I am new to this site but am happy to be here. We are just about to convert our single screen art deco theater to digital and man I can't wait. I have had to work on every major component of the Motiograph AA and Christie AW3. We are barely going to make it into the digital age while still operational and I cannot wait to not be hauling those boxes up and down our narrow, winding staircase. Gone will be the tense nights waiting to see if the sound holds out and the intermittent gear stays in one peace!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.551 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction