Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth used DCI compliant projector for second run house?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: used DCI compliant projector for second run house?

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 12 Mar 2013 18:11 #39814

• theaterguy
  • Fresh Boarder
hi, looking to open a 2nd run/revival house and am hoping to find out what I should be expecting to pay for a used DCI complaint projector. Screens probably 25' with 100-125 seats in each theater

any help, insight or leads for purchasing would be most appreciated

thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 23 Mar 2013 19:34 #39843

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
22k + and up depending on size condition and age/ there are not a lot around.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 24 Mar 2013 00:58 #39844

• Andrew Thomas
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
You can find used NEC NC1600Cs/Barco DP1200/1500s with server and lens for $28-$30k. But as many units make their way into the channel and film print availability continues to tighten, I expect the cost to go up a bit and stay there for 5-8 years until theaters have to begin replacing their equipment when the VPF deals run their course and theaters are forced to upgrade to stay compliant.

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 24 Mar 2013 04:32 #39845

• lionheart
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
There are some new projectors using the new S2K chip set for smaller screens like aznphan74 wants to use that are supposed to be available for about $30,000 already. Here is an example of the NEC NC900C touted at that price back in November.

www.slashgear.com/nec-nc900c-digital-cin...s-is-30000-09256303/

This kind of pricing should put pressure on used gear to fall rather than stay the same. I would think that mostly smaller theaters are the ones who will be seeking out used gear. If someone truly needs something capable of lighting a bigger screen, then limited supply of used equipment may indeed push the prices up. The guy shopping to equip a smaller theater will have the advantage of being able to tell the used equipment dealer, "Sorry, but that's too much. I can buy a new one for that." Then start to walk away. If the dealer is hungry, he can make a deal. If not, then buy a new one.

The equipment dealer will have the guy shopping for his bigger screen right where he wants him. "Sorry. I can't do any better on the price. It's the only one around." All the while smiling like a Cheshire cat.

This situation might not push the used ones to half price or anything like it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop a bit with the right kind of negotiating skills.

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 24 Mar 2013 16:38 #39846

• Mike
  • Administrator
bottom line is that first generation DCI projectors are already being replaced for various reasons: 2k vs. 4 K HFR, 3-D etc. etc. they do come on market but are snapped up. You need to talk with your supplier of choice and be ready when it is available but it's not like the market was for used 35mm stuff for many years. There just isn't dozens of years of accumulated good digital gear. Mike
Michael Hurley
Impresario

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 24 Mar 2013 18:46 #39847

• Andrew Thomas
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
There will never be the kind of market for buyers with digital projectors that there was/is for film projectors for a simple reason: Planned obsolescence. The industry has essentially decided every 10 or so years theaters will need to replace the majority of their projection system

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 28 Mar 2013 21:28 #39855

• lewistheatre
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We already have a Panasonic projector that we use for DVDs and computer based slides. Can we use this with some new hardware to show new format movies? If so, what would we need to add?
I do not know if the projector is DCI compliant? Must it be so?

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 29 Mar 2013 03:41 #39859

• Andrew Thomas
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
There are only four companies that make DCI compliant projectors, Barco, Christie, NEC, and Sony. You have to have one of their DCI models to be able to play new release films.

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 04 Apr 2013 16:03 #39876

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Andrew Thomas wrote:
There will never be the kind of market for buyers with digital projectors that there was/is for film projectors for a simple reason: Planned obsolescence. The industry has essentially decided every 10 or so years theaters will need to replace the majority of their projection system

On what do you base this opinion, Andrew?

I have two Barco DP2K-23B and one DP2K-32B in my drive-in. Barco has made it very clear to our owners' group that their projectors are built to be upgraded as necessary, not replaced.

As-built today, what do you feel will have to be replaced in 10 years? As a very satisfied owner, I certainly do not feel that way about the equipment I currently have in my booth.
Last Edit: 04 Apr 2013 16:06 by rodeojack.

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 06 Apr 2013 13:53 #39886

• techman707
  • Junior Boarder
rodeojack wrote:
Andrew Thomas wrote:

I have two Barco DP2K-23B and one DP2K-32B in my drive-in. Barco has made it very clear to our owners' group that their projectors are built to be upgraded as necessary, not replaced.

As-built today, what do you feel will have to be replaced in 10 years? As a very satisfied owner, I certainly do not feel that way about the equipment I currently have in my booth.

For many years, theatres operated with 35mm projectors and spent very little in terms of money spent on maintenance (unless abused). Despite how you feel, today’s digital projectors will never stand up to the type of use that film projectors did. In addition, you’ll find the cost of repairs MUCH higher than on a 35mm film projector. This will become much more apparent as warranties run out on these digital projectors and things start to need repair or replacement. While some digital projectors with stand up better than others, the only things that will (or should) remain the same as before, in terms of cost spent for maintenance, will be the sound system and xenon lamps.

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 07 Apr 2013 15:07 #39889

• Mike
  • Administrator
good subject.... I have a video projector that has run flawlessly for 10 years, I have yet to see a scratched print on my digital systems, and when a tech visits my theatre it's about 8 hours drive time @ 75.00 per hour so I do care.... the good thing about the digitals is that they run at low temps, there are very few mechanicals to go bad other than a fan or tow, and due to AC, they run cool. How they upgrade is yet to be sen... perhaps we'll be allowed to fall behind on the latest greatest.... IE we were not forced to go 3-D so maybe this mass "convert or die" will have been a one time thing. We'll see.

techman707 wrote:
rodeojack wrote:
Andrew Thomas wrote:

For many years, theatres operated with 35mm projectors and spent very little in terms of money spent on maintenance (unless abused). Despite how you feel, today’s digital projectors will never stand up to the type of use that film projectors did. In addition, you’ll find the cost of repairs MUCH higher than on a 35mm film projector. This will become much more apparent as warranties run out on these digital projectors and things start to need repair or replacement. While some digital projectors with stand up better than others, the only things that will (or should) remain the same as before, in terms of cost spent for maintenance, will be the sound system and xenon lamps.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

used DCI compliant projector for second run house? 12 Apr 2013 16:52 #39909

• theaterguy
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks for all the info. I've looked into the NEC 900 for what I'd like to do, looking at around $35k all in with server, installation, etc. would rather have something new under warranty as well for a few mor $k than try and buy something used.

what can i look at spending on sound/screen for this size theater?

thanks!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction