Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth Are Port Windows Still Necessary?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are Port Windows Still Necessary?

Are Port Windows Still Necessary? 01 Sep 2012 16:59 #39079

• Tom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The new digital projectors are so quiet, is there a need for port windows anymore?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are Port Windows Still Necessary? 01 Sep 2012 18:12 #39080

• Adam Fraser
  • Expert Boarder
My NEC is louder then my Simplex is. Port windows were a necessity.

Are Port Windows Still Necessary? 01 Sep 2012 18:37 #39081

• Bob Nash
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Besides the noise: air conditioning control, dust, hands and trash (being thrown in the window) are all reasons for a port window with glass.
Last Edit: 01 Sep 2012 18:39 by Bob Nash.

Are Port Windows Still Necessary? 01 Sep 2012 18:42 #39082

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I am actually looking into Portholes at the moment. My Digital installer wants me to install 24 x24 portholes. They said it would be cheaper if I do it myself, but failed to give me instructions. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
JAy

Are Port Windows Still Necessary? 02 Sep 2012 04:31 #39084

• lionheart
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Jay,

I'm not sure why anyone needs a 24 x 24 porthole, unless the projector has to be mounted farther away from the port. I can't see why a digital projector would require a larger port. Perhaps if you are using one port for more than one projector, or to serve both a projector and as the projectionist's view-port. Otherwise, it seems you are just spending extra money to suit the installer's opinion or for his convenience.

I installed two ports for each projector. One for the projector, and one as a view-port for the projectionist. The second one only had common glass, not the special anti-reflective glass you should use for a projector. The view-port can be whatever size you want with the lower cost glass. The projection port glass I used was 10 x 12 I think, or maybe it was 8 x 10.

I did a quick search and the first site I found when using the search term "projection port window" lists a 24 x 24 port window for $795. It appears that you could buy 2 or 3 smaller port windows for less money from that site, depending on the exact size and quality.

I personally did things a bit different. I bought panes of anti-reflection coated optical glass from Edmund Optics. I believe this link is where you could find something similar:

www.edmundoptics.com/optics/windows-diff...iciency-windows/1919

I built my own window frames and ports using this glass. One projector sat back far enough that I built a window that swings open to the inside on hinges. My other projector had to sit so close to the window that I had to build a window that slid up and down to remove or install it. For those that don't realize it, you have to be able to get to both sides of the window for cleaning, and it is often more convenient to clean both sides from the booth. My carpentry was nothing to brag about, but I did create something functional for a lot less than I would have paid if I bought everything pre-built.

A pane of 8 x 10 AR glass from Edmunds lists for $48, and a pane of 10 x 12 is $71. The other materials cost very little. I used scrap lumber that I already had. Regular glass you can get from the local lumber yard or hardware store for not much for the view ports.

I was very satisfied with the results of my work, and the quality of the image on my screens. One warning I would pass along to any other do-it-yourself type out there is that the glass I bought from Edmund Optics was very thin. I used extra caution to avoid breakage, and I had no problems. Consider using a design that will not require you to hammer on a window with glass in it. Whenever I open or remove the windows for cleaning or for other reasons, I also exercise extra care. It certainly is one way to save hundreds of dollars per window.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction