Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: LOWER PRICE DIGITAL

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 28 Aug 2012 18:49 #39059

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Now with 60 to 70% of theatres having converted to digital, and with many of the remaining theatres unable to afford the conversion, we will see a slowdown in new installations.

That isn’t going to happen right away as there are still a good number of theatres that need to be converted that can justify it, but the time will come in the not too distant future when those will be completed, and thousands more that can’t will be left in limbo.

At that point the digital manufacturers will be in a difficult position, as there are few new theatres being built at the present time, and the ones that have converted will not need replacements for a good number of years (we hope), and the others left can’t afford to do it. Therefore, they will have very few places to sell equipment to. Not good for their future as I see it.

They will have two avenues for future sales. The continuous upgrades for new technologies that will be available every few years, and new lower cost digital projectors for those that couldn’t afford the cost of the original ones.

Ah... Yes, low and behold, we have seen lately that several of the manufacturers are soon releasing new, much less expensive digital projectors for theatres with 30’ screens or less. Theatres with screens smaller than 30 feet probably make up 50 to 60% of all screens that now exist. I have seen cost estimates kicked around suggesting a price tag of between 30 to 40 thousand dollars, about half of the current cost. This will be a blessing for many of the small theatres that would have been forced to close. However, it will be an insult, and an un-needed financial burden to those that went out on a limb to make the conversion already when they wouldn’t have had to. Thank you Mr. Fithian (convert or die).

As for me, I have saved the money for conversion at the original price, but why spend money that you don’t have to? I can always make other improvements to the theatre. I was planning to convert next month, but have now told my installer to check out this new equipment and make recommendations. He is certified to install and maintain both Christie and Barco and feels that the quality of the new units will still be, as good as, if not better, then 35mm.

I therefore see no reason to be in a hurry, as some of this equipment is supposed to be available by this December. Waiting a few more months will not make any difference, so I will wait.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 28 Aug 2012 20:32 #39060

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Roxy,
right on. As long as you don't want VPF's (in which case you have to be deployed by a certain date), just wait as long as possible. Prizes will come down.
Jay

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 28 Aug 2012 22:29 #39061

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Rick is one of the smartest theatre operators I know. I wonder where are those who tried to burn my butt because I said last year there is no hurry to install digital and that one is OK with 35mm for two or three years.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 28 Aug 2012 23:08 #39062

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Bob.
Before my butt gets burned too....
The time frame I am thinking is 6 maybe 12 months not years. There will be a lot of availability in equipment and manpower after the mad rush to VPF Compliance. That should create a price drop almost immediately afterwards. On the other hand by all accounts film will get scarce next year, so you will have to find the sweet spot. (Maximum prize drop - minimum booking problems)
Jay

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 29 Aug 2012 13:44 #39063

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
revrobor wrote:
Rick is one of the smartest theatre operators I know. I wonder where are those who tried to burn my butt because I said last year there is no hurry to install digital and that one is OK with 35mm for two or three years.

Old Showman... I am booking theatres and I promise you there will not be a 35 mm print available to small theatres in 2-3 years. I'm staking my heart on it. Even now; who get a 35mm print to open Bourne? Only the highest grossing still 35mm theatres. Who gets Hope Springs on 35 mm? Only the highest grossing still 35 mm theatres. And when will they let it go if it's high grossing? By the time you get that print away from them the world will have moved on to the next film they want to see. As a booker and theatre owner the biggest reason to get digital sooner than later isn't to prove how wrong it is to see how how long you can hang on to a technology that is evaporating before our eyes. The single best reason is because you can get the films that people want to see NOW. Yes; you're going to have to spend X amount of money per screen. Figure it out. Go get it. Hundreds and hundreds of small town theatres are successfully fund raising to make the change. At the speed this shift is moving there is no way that 35 mm can be anything to rely on. There will be the first company... like FOX says they will be..... and the rest will follow in a tumble. Obama 2016 is out on over 1000 screens ONLY in digital. They have already moved on. It's happening. You can hang on for a while but in particular the longer you hold out and the smaller you are the worse it will be for you.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 29 Aug 2012 13:45 #39064

• Mike
  • Administrator
RoxyVaudeville wrote:
Now with 60 to 70% of theatres having converted to digital, and with many of the remaining theatres unable to afford the conversion, we will see a slowdown in new installations.

That isn’t going to happen right away as there are still a good number of theatres that need to be converted that can justify it, but the time will come in the not too distant future when those will be completed, and thousands more that can’t will be left in limbo.

At that point the digital manufacturers will be in a difficult position, as there are few new theatres being built at the present time, and the ones that have converted will not need replacements for a good number of years (we hope), and the others left can’t afford to do it. Therefore, they will have very few places to sell equipment to. Not good for their future as I see it.

They will have two avenues for future sales. The continuous upgrades for new technologies that will be available every few years, and new lower cost digital projectors for those that couldn’t afford the cost of the original ones.

Ah... Yes, low and behold, we have seen lately that several of the manufacturers are soon releasing new, much less expensive digital projectors for theatres with 30’ screens or less. Theatres with screens smaller than 30 feet probably make up 50 to 60% of all screens that now exist. I have seen cost estimates kicked around suggesting a price tag of between 30 to 40 thousand dollars, about half of the current cost. This will be a blessing for many of the small theatres that would have been forced to close. However, it will be an insult, and an un-needed financial burden to those that went out on a limb to make the conversion already when they wouldn’t have had to. Thank you Mr. Fithian (convert or die).

As for me, I have saved the money for conversion at the original price, but why spend money that you don’t have to? I can always make other improvements to the theatre. I was planning to convert next month, but have now told my installer to check out this new equipment and make recommendations. He is certified to install and maintain both Christie and Barco and feels that the quality of the new units will still be, as good as, if not better, then 35mm.

I therefore see no reason to be in a hurry, as some of this equipment is supposed to be available by this December. Waiting a few more months will not make any difference, so I will wait.

Absolutely. Sept 30 the VPF's go away and it is GAME ON. Watch prices tumble and choices multiply.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 07 Oct 2012 18:45 #39342

Do you have any idea if you could tear apart a PC Projector and move the LCD screen inside to in front of a Movie Theater bulb and long throw lens? The reason I ask is a friend has showing film movies. But all movies will not be sent to 35mm film.

So many theatres will have to buy a Digital projector to show DVDs at $50,00 or more. Ronnie doesn't want to invest that kind of money because

he barely clears enough money to pay $5000 for the film.

If the projectors come down to $30K then that might be an investment he can make. I would think that the drive in projector would need to be brighter than indoor theaters.

Thank you, Ron

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 08 Oct 2012 22:36 #39355

• Mike
  • Administrator
[email protected] wrote:
Do you have any idea if you could tear apart a PC Projector and move the LCD screen inside to in front of a Movie Theater bulb and long throw lens? The reason I ask is a friend has showing film movies. But all movies will not be sent to 35mm film.

So many theatres will have to buy a Digital projector to show DVDs at $50,00 or more. Ronnie doesn't want to invest that kind of money because

he barely clears enough money to pay $5000 for the film.

If the projectors come down to $30K then that might be an investment he can make. I would think that the drive in projector would need to be brighter than indoor theaters.

Thank you, Ron

No. That will not work. Yopur only option currently is to show 35 mm as long as you can and watch for used equip at cheaper prices as well as new stuff will cost less. That is already happening and it is already under 40K so keep an eye on it.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 17 Oct 2012 03:27 #39384

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Has anyone seen any official pricing on these new smaller venue projectors yet? Quotes? Or is it still speculation?

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 27 Oct 2012 01:21 #39423

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Ant real news ??

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 29 Oct 2012 11:40 #39435

• Davin
  • Fresh Boarder
I recently got a bid. The projector was $41,000 and with the additional recommended equipment and installation it came to $54,000. I will have to wait and hope the price continues to come down.

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 30 Oct 2012 16:49 #39444

• Mike
  • Administrator
lets see after Show East?
Michael Hurley
Impresario

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 31 Oct 2012 13:16 #39448

• Alex
  • Fresh Boarder
AMA Dealer for D-cinema. Here is the scoop for smaller venues (10m and below).

Barco - DP2k-10sx
Christie - Solaria One
NEC - NC-900

These all come with a embedded IMB solution. Barco / NEC are Doremi while Christie went with their own IMB solution.

They all started at with the price point of $30,000 with everything included. However, you can see something market value for around ~$37,000 for Projector, Lamp, Lens, and server. Add a few extras and you get your 40k~ value.

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 07 Nov 2012 21:14 #39471

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Prices new projectors --

Nec 30,000 pulse base

Barco -- 35,000 pluse base

LOWER PRICE DIGITAL 07 Nov 2012 21:16 #39472

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
The Nec projector is not using xenon bulb but 2 mercury bulbs per projector.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction