Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth Truth about being forced into digital
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Truth about being forced into digital

Truth about being forced into digital 15 Mar 2012 12:14 #38051

• wolf
  • Fresh Boarder
We have an independently owned and operated 10 screen theatre. We have seen some of our neighboring theatre's being scared into digital. Has anyone heard of any date that everyone will be forced to convert? For the life of me I have found no advantage for us to go digital unless prints begin to dry up, the picture is not better, the sound is not better and at $70K per screen that would be an unnecessary $700K investment.
I have read of the pioneers to switching to digital are already having to upgrade if not replace existing equipment because of compliancy issues. All this so Hollywood can save 2K per print??? Can someone please tell me what we are missing, how would this ever be a good investment for us, unless we are forced. I have heard rumors but have seen no documents to date.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Truth about being forced into digital 15 Mar 2012 13:52 #38052

• AllenD
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I remember watching the movie "Taken" with a new 35 mm print in one house and a digital print in an adjacent house. The 35 mm was better. I also watched many a digital presentation at Showest. It was like watching a giant TV.
That has changed however. The new digital picture and sound are better than the best 35 mm. Please visit a new digital installation and you'll be surprised by the quality.

Re: Truth about being forced into digital 15 Mar 2012 15:47 #38053

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
wolf wrote:
We have an independently owned and operated 10 screen theatre. We have seen some of our neighboring theatre's being scared into digital. Has anyone heard of any date that everyone will be forced to convert? For the life of me I have found no advantage for us to go digital unless prints begin to dry up, the picture is not better, the sound is not better and at $70K per screen that would be an unnecessary $700K investment.
I have read of the pioneers to switching to digital are already having to upgrade if not replace existing equipment because of compliancy issues. All this so Hollywood can save 2K per print??? Can someone please tell me what we are missing, how would this ever be a good investment for us, unless we are forced. I have heard rumors but have seen no documents to date.

This should be a non-issue for you. I am going to assume since you are 10 screens that you are first run (yes I know there are a few 10-screen discounts). If so, sign a VPF agreement and you will get most of it paid for. What is not paid for, should be able to get recouped by having almost no booth labor. If you are running 12 hours a day paying booth help $10 an hour, that is at least $40,000 in labor savings.

So make those phone calls and get signed up. For you the most important deadline in late summer for the VPFs. Yes you will have to get your own financing upfront but financing does seem to be easier than most lines of credit to get.

Now if you are a discount......well good luck.

Re: Truth about being forced into digital 15 Mar 2012 17:25 #38055

• wolf
  • Fresh Boarder
So make those phone calls and get signed up. For you the most important deadline in late summer for the VPFs. Yes you will have to get your own financing upfront but financing does seem to be easier than most lines of credit to get.

Now if you are a discount......well good luck.[/quote]

Do you have any recommendations about whom to contact. Who is better than whom?

Thanks

Re: Truth about being forced into digital 15 Mar 2012 18:01 #38057

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
wolf wrote:

Now if you are a discount......well good luck.

Do you have any recommendations about whom to contact. Who is better than whom?

Thanks[/quote]

Cinemacon is coming up, I would recommend attending that trade show.

VPF integrators:
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Equipment:

Financing:

There more of course, these are just few.

Recommendations:
Projectors: Christie or Barco (most techs dislike the Sony the most but they are the cheapest it seems)
servers: Doremi and Dolby seem to be the best according to techs.
Last Edit: 15 Mar 2012 18:07 by rufusjack.

Re: Truth about being forced into digital 17 Mar 2012 16:07 #38067

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
the list before me Rufus provided is pretty complete and your initial ignoring of the VPF was the critical missing part of the information. Understanding the VPF, how it reduces your cost for equip, and how wired in you'll be in the future, is critical. You will be forced to "convert or die" John Fithian quote, film by film. So start moving now and at least educate yourself. It will not come with a bang it will come with a whimper as films become harder and harder to get; even first run.
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction