Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth Requesting projection/sounds system advice
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Requesting projection/sounds system advice

Requesting projection/sounds system advice 01 Mar 2009 15:17 #31040

• tburk
  • Fresh Boarder
I am working on re-opening an 8 screen theater in Fort Myers, FL. The theater is in good shape, however, there is no concessions or projection/sound equipment. So, I must purchase an entire projection and sound system for all 8 screens. I know little about projection and sound systems and was looking to get some information for those who knew more about the specific area of the business. I'd like to know about the reputable brands, thoughts on new and/or used equipment, vendors of equipment with a good reputation, or even possible set-up for a screen. If someone would be kind enough to either post some information or point me in the direction where I might find some, perhaps a link where I could read up on some information, that would be great.
Last Edit: 01 Mar 2009 15:24 by tburk.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Requesting projection/sounds system advice 01 Mar 2009 18:12 #31042

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Check out www.iceco.com. They are in Miami and have very reasonable prices on reconditioned/used equipment. Unless you're a millionaire I'd encourage you to install the reconditioned equipment, you'll save a bundle. Century, Simplex, Christie are the top American made brands and all have several models available.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Requesting projection/sounds system advice 02 Mar 2009 10:41 #31044

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
To that, I would add:

Platters & makeup tables: Christie or Strong. Some "tech"-oriented people are a bit down on Strong, but they're priced right, have a HUGE market share and most of us like 'em just fine. Christie is reliable, but more expensive.

Projectors: Century or Strong. Lots of good, reconditioned stock out there.

Lamphouses: Christie SLC and Big Sky. For BIG screens, add Strong Super (or Ultra) 80.

Inspection/rewind tables & auditorium dimmers: Kelmar

Automation: Component Engineering, if you want simple/reliable. For more complex programs, Christie/Pennywise (as endorsed by all Film-Tech gurus).

Sound: This is a VERY personal choice. I had a combination of DTS and Dolby for my digital playbacks, with Component Engineering booth monitors and QSC amplifiers. The pool of equipment installed by professional service people is fairly limited and, as far as I've seen, the differences are relatively esthetic. Find a couple of people who do this a lot and ask questions.

There are some other good brands out there who aren't represented on my "favorites" list. That's only because I have very limited (or no) experience with them. Some of them have members here, who might chime in.

Re:Requesting projection/sounds system advice 02 Mar 2009 16:48 #31048

Cinemecanica v5 projectors superlumex lamphouses specco or strong platters USL JSD80 processors with a split of DTS and Dolby digital Component engineering automation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction