Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth 35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness?

35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 07 Feb 2009 13:34 #30838

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Saw this topic over at FT.

www.1800lastbid.com/auction/listings/cat...430641&group=10&ID=1

The sound equipment seemed to get good prices but absolutely amazing how hoirribly low the film equipment was.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 07 Feb 2009 16:35 #30840

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Apparently whoever is selling it does not know the value of that equipment. Assuming it's all in working condition the Cinemeccanica is the better of the two projectors but there are a lot of Ballantynes still in use. It's not worthless and if I had the bucks to ship it out here I'd jump at the chance to take it. There are projectors decades older than those still in use. And film will be with us for a long time to come.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 07 Feb 2009 17:02 #30841

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Hi Bob,

To me it seemed that everything but the film handling equipment and lamphouses got pretty good money. For exp. JBL 8330s got $70 each. I have seen these for $100 from dealers. I would rather pay $100 from a dealer than $70 from an as-is auction.

projectors and rectifers had 2-4 bids were as sound equipment had 12-30 bids.

The prices had nothing to do with an uneducated seller, but low demand for those items.

BTW there are 25 pages of items. At least 30 rectifers sold for approx. $40 each.

Re:35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 07 Feb 2009 18:45 #30842

Also remember there is little new construction going on demand is low
Also note that no indi went in and used this as a method of upgrading so the attitude of good enough still coasts along which in the end is why D cinema is also doomed

Re:35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 17 Feb 2009 23:36 #30906

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
I was talking to a person at Wolk the other day and he told me on certain projectors they will not restock parts when they are gone. He told me, it was too expensive to machine parts for these projectors. He also told me, that he has seen a number of projectors simply go to scrap, something he never has seen before. This could indicate that our film projectors are heading for pasture sooner than we might have expected. I am not saying film will be gone tomorrow, but I will not be the least bit surprised to see some movies released only in digital format, in the very near future. Cuemarks

Re:35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 18 Feb 2009 00:06 #30907

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Very near future..NO WAY..........5 to 10 years maybe and only maybe....

Re:35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 18 Feb 2009 23:15 #30915

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
I should have said more 3-D digital prints only. This format would skip film only theatres. I think it is fun to guess what happens next. Looking forward to Showest and more information. cuemarks

Re:35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 21 Feb 2009 01:55 #30941

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
From what I've seen, a digital 3-D only release would be the kiss of death for any film... and it seems the studios know it.

Journey To the Center of the Earth 3D was intended as a digital-only release. When they realized just how few digital screens were 3-D ready, and of those, how many would be available on the day of release, "3-D" was removed from the name and a whole lot of 35mm prints were struck.

Regardless how people feel about digital or the available 3-D processes, it's going to be a problem for the studios until a lot more exhibitors figure out if they can make money off the format, AND pay the licensing fees and/or glasses costs.

Re:35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 21 Feb 2009 15:22 #30946

As particular models cease to be viable others still are
I can see that Brenkert and Motiograph parts will get scarce as there is only a small base of those machines anyway and they haven't made parts anyway for them in years just been selling there inventory of parts bought up from various sources
Century Simplex XL Christie Cinemecanica Kinoton will all have parts for a long time

Re:35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 21 Feb 2009 21:19 #30949

• Narrow Gauge
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I have been reluctant to embrace digital projection but now see that the time is closer than the 5 to 10 years that is often predicted. First and thankfully the CBG and accessit program cluster that NATO is behind will soon be gone. Acessit or whatever they are called today is virtually broke...the CBG rollout may or may not ever work.
However the good news is Paramount and now possibly Fox are making individual deals with individual theaters for the vpf money-no integrator needed!!!!! This now allows the local operator to make an independent deal with real money coming back to them-without the many conditions that the integrators were imposing. This is exactly the scenario I was looking for before taking the plunge.
Secondly more films are going to be 3d only-Jonas Brothers next week and the big one Avatar in 3d only. I was told Friday that Avatar would not be available in 35 mm. Now whether that changes between now and the release remains to be seen but the writing is slowly starting to appear. With paramount and apparently Fox breaking ranks with the integrators the ball may start rolling faster.

Re:35mm Film Equipment approaching worthlessness? 21 Feb 2009 22:44 #30953

• cuemarks
  • Senior Boarder
Our test with digital equipment has gone well. One glitch that resulted in a refund was corrected. All other operations have been perfect. Since we are a very small chain, we have had to be patient on vpf, but we are working with the film companies on a deal. I have noticed that other independents in much better markets have cut great deals with third party suppliers and have gone all digital. Once you make the jump, I don't think you will miss your splicer very much. Cuemarks
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction