Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth Do you exhaust rectifiers?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do you exhaust rectifiers?

Do you exhaust rectifiers? 26 Jan 2009 18:36 #30771

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
Does anyone here exhaust their rectifiers? I'm getting quotes on having a rooftop blower installed to vent the lamphouses and wondered if anyone knows the flow rate for something like a Kneisley Kni-tron 2000watt 3-phase. Even though the product manual notes that the unit can be exhausted, it doesn't say what the flow rate is. The booth can be warm in the summer, hence the desire to exhaust the warm air.

-David
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Do you exhaust rectifiers? 27 Jan 2009 03:01 #30776

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Give the manufacturer a call or look for their website. If they are no longer in business call a theatre supply company's service department.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Do you exhaust rectifiers? 27 Jan 2009 15:58 #30780

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I have never seen the need to exhaust one, the Knisley's run pretty cool unless you have it overloaded.

only WARM air should come out, not hot...

if you decide to vent it, don't be too concerned with a huge blower.

:cheer:
tony.

Re:Do you exhaust rectifiers? 28 Jan 2009 11:51 #30785

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
Yeah, I figure at this point I'll leave it as is. If necessary, I can just vent it with a low-speed blower.

Re:Do you exhaust rectifiers? 30 Jan 2009 12:28 #30803

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I've always wondered about this too. It is right next to my intake for my lamphouse. Good circulation from the Kneisley rectifier causes quite a bit of warm air to circulate around the lamphouse. I was considering running a line from the outtake of the rectifier into the line exhausting the lamphouse heat. Be nice to not have such a hot room to work in, especially in the summers.

Sure would be nice to be able to use that heat for some good in the winter instead of blowing it out my roof.
"What a crazy business"

Re:Do you exhaust rectifiers? 30 Jan 2009 17:29 #30804

I have vented the large ones and found diode life and filter cap life was better
and if it was a conversion kit where the ignitor sat on top of the rectifer I definitly vented them

Re:Do you exhaust rectifiers? 31 Jan 2009 12:48 #30807

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Except in one case, where I installed a couple of Strong rectifiers in ventillated outdoor enclosures, I've never exhausted one. For starters, most of the booths I've worked in have had plenty of air movement through them, just because of the lamphouses.

I've seen old arc-to-xenon conversion kits, where ballasts were mounted on top of the rectifier. Those were vented outside. I have a couple of old Kni-Tron arc rectifiers in my old (retired) booth. Those were installed in a generator room, back when we were running Ashcrafts, but that was more because of their internal fans' noise than the need to introduce outside air.

Where you are probably makes a big difference. Here in the Seattle area, it's not such a huge deal. In California, Arizona, Florida, etc... maybe more so.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction