Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth Digital Projectors
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Digital Projectors

Digital Projectors 07 Jan 2009 14:42 #30670

Okay, I am opening up a 1-2 screen art cinema in my town and I had a question about using digital projectors...

I want to know if a normal $5-8,000 projector would work as my main one? I understand I want a bright picture and I know of a few under-10k models that qualify, but what I want to know is if most companies support theatrical DVD's and Blu Ray Discs? (eg Sony Classics, Paramount Vintage, Warner Independent, Fox Searchlight, etc.)

I contacted Magnolia pictures a few months ago via email and they said that they indeed rent DVD's for theatrical engagements. Does anyone have any experience with theatrical DVD's?

I know many people will suggest 35mm, but I want to use digital until I know my town will support and indie theater.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Digital Projectors 08 Jan 2009 02:04 #30673

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
There are very few Theatrical DVD.....Magnolia ,Regent and on rare occasion Sony classic..You can not stay in bsns with dvd.....

Re:Digital Projectors 15 Jan 2009 23:38 #30707

• bryan868
  • Fresh Boarder
I was curious about this as well. So not nearly enough distributors do bluray or DVD???

Re:Digital Projectors 16 Jan 2009 00:59 #30709

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
very ,very few and those who do dont do any bsns.

Re:Digital Projectors 16 Jan 2009 09:57 #30710

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
Does this surprise you? These are companies that are distributing product to be shown in theatres, not living rooms.

Re:Digital Projectors 16 Jan 2009 09:59 #30711

• dnedrow
  • Senior Boarder
I think it would be a terrible idea to try to start a theatre by showing DVDs. Even Blu-Ray is only half the resolution of a normal 2k d-cinema print. Think about the people (who you hope will be future return customers) come, realize you're doing something they could just as easily do at home, and never come back -- even after you've switched to film or a real d-cinema solution.

Re:Digital Projectors 16 Jan 2009 17:33 #30715

Very few are releasesd on DVD. I have several theaters that run a DVD classic, the quality is ok but depends on the film and how it was shot. The ccst runs higher on minimums for that type of play and it is hard to build up the momentum. It is doable but takes awhile. If your going to go more obscure titles than you might be ok, but if you are looking for films like Defiance, Milk, Doubt, Slumdog you will have problems getting them.

Re:Digital Projectors 16 Jan 2009 20:28 #30717

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I agree that product supply would be a problem.. My research over the last couple of years indicates there is more product still available in 16mm from Swank and Creiterion than there are DVDs. The jury is still out on whether digital is superior to film. Your customers are probably going to be more interested in good story lines than the medium of delivery.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:Digital Projectors 18 Jan 2009 17:02 #30726

Also remember that a theatre must be a better experience than the living room and that means a better source material
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction