Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bad Rectifer general question

Bad Rectifer general question 08 Jun 2007 21:37 #22533

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
I have had a rectifer go out on me tonight (friday 8 pm). This is one we just bought (used) 6 months ago.

What kinda of response would you expect from the equipment supplier you purchased it from?

I know I should not expect a free replacement but I would hope to at least get a significant discount (35-50%). Assuming that used equipment probably has a 100% markup.

Your thoughts?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bad Rectifer general question 09 Jun 2007 00:02 #22534

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
In my experience, used equipment carries little or no warranty. If you have purchased a significant amount from your supplier in the past and they want to keep you as a customer, maybe a small discount would be granted. Call them up and ask the questions. The more immediate concern- are you able to get back on screen before next week?

Re: Bad Rectifer general question 09 Jun 2007 00:47 #22535

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Rectifiers are generally very sturdy pieces of equipment. Chances are good that you might just have a minor problem. Blown diodes and leaky capacitors are easily fixed. As long as you haven't blown the power transformer (not likely), you should be able to get past this by having the supplier fix your existing unit.

However, none of this applies to switchers. They aren't generally repairable in the field, unless you have the phone number of a good tech. If you bought one of those, see if they'll exchange it.

Re: Bad Rectifer general question 09 Jun 2007 14:05 #22536

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Next week? Sorry we get things fixed sooner. For example we had a bad rectifer on Friday Dec. 23. We had it replaced and the screen running within 18 hours. Can't afford to be down longer than 1 day. Fortunately we have a couple of suppliers within 3 hours of us afew more within 6 hours.

This time, we were lucky in that it was a bad diode and was fixed within 4 hours. Being a pack rat, I still had the old rectifer still in storage.

Hats off to Jim King at Sonic Equipment out of Iola, KS 800-365-5701 for his help in getting it fixed. I tried calling the supplier of the first unit that I bought and got no answer or return call as of today at 2 pm CST. Unnacceptable IMO.

I did have another tech work with me to make sure electric was getting to the unit okay and to isolate the problem to within the rectifer. But he stopped at the point.

Jim walked me through what to look for. I have done no business with this company before but will try to give as much business that I can in the future.

Re: Bad Rectifer general question 09 Jun 2007 18:15 #22537

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Glad to hear it wasn't something more serious!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction