Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth Digital Projector's
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Digital Projector's

Digital Projector's 15 May 2007 08:10 #22515

• Dexxa
  • Junior Boarder
I was looking at the dolby digital cinema system which looks fantastic, Im planning open opening a cinema somethime this year and was just thinking is it worth getting 35mm projectors and then pay more money to upgrade to a digital system then just save money and just go digital,
http://www.dolby.com/professional/motion_picture/solutions_digitalcinemas2.html

It looks great, But i guess it'll cost a fair bit to buy he system, It has a dvd player on the system too, Does that mean it can play normal dvds as well? So if someone rents the sceen and has the license to play the movie such like from filmbank that i can play it using that?

Is there any other good ones out there that might be cheaper?, If you know some please feel free to post them here

Thanks

Jamie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Digital Projector's 15 May 2007 12:33 #22516

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
There is not yet a reliable full stream of digital product. I would not have all screens with only a digital projector.

Yes: you can play dvd's on the digi systems.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Digital Projector's 16 May 2007 00:09 #22517

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Have you priced digital cinema projectors, Jamie? Try $100k... each. Buying 35mm projectors- even brand new ones- pales in comparison, and adding a $100 DVD player is a piece of cake.

Most movies are available in digital now, but a standard method by which they are distributed hasn't been established yet. They take 7 hours to download via satellite (each) and the hard drives they are mailed on are not reliable.

It's only a matter of time before digital overtakes film, but we're talking decades. This is the hottest topic in cinemas today- just do a search here and you'll find mucho controversy on the subject.

My opinion... stick with tried, true, and easily obtainable 35mm film, but keep yourself updated on the advances in digital. I'm in the same position you are, but after tons of research on the subject, and as amazing as digital sounds, 35mm wins out. You can always add one projector later when they become cheaper and the movies can be easily distributed.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: Digital Projector's 16 May 2007 00:28 #22518

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Re: Digital Projector's 16 May 2007 06:45 #22519

• Dexxa
  • Junior Boarder
True, I prefer 35mm, whoa thats a fair amount per digital projector, I'd think i'd wait awhile until they get better, I havent sent any qoutes yet to companys so i didnt have a rough idea how much hey cost. Thanks for your advice
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction