Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector?

Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector? 13 Mar 2007 13:00 #22476

• HollywoodOz
  • Junior Boarder
I'm working with a local non-profit to try to get a weekend of outdoor cinema happening, and because they left it a little late to book a rental package, they're thinking about buying a low end/second hand projector/screen package instead.

I've done my research on this as best as I can - I know what some rental suppliers generally recommend for an event to be seen by 500 people (24 ft screen, 3000 lumens projector, five 300-watt speakers seems to be a solid average), but this non-profit really doesn't have a lot of cash for purchasing equipment ($10k seems to be their high end), so my question is, what is the barest bones set-up one could use to show a film to 500 folks after dark without them demanding their money back?

And what should I look for in a second hand projector in terms of technology?

Thanks in advance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector? 14 Mar 2007 00:02 #22477

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Most cinema equipment dealers have tons of good used equipment in their warehouses. Many will wheel and deal a great package deal.

You'll need a pedestal, xenon lamphouse, xenon power supply, projector head, sound head, platter and guide rollers, splicer, and a sound rack. For that size screen I'd say a 2,500 watt xenon lamphouse should work.

Re: Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector? 14 Mar 2007 00:53 #22478

• HollywoodOz
  • Junior Boarder
I probably should have mentioned the word 'digital' somewhere there before 'projector'.

I figure projecting from digital (outdoors) might bring a whole stack of issues that one wouldn't encounter with 35mm equipment, and that's where I'm a little lost.

Re: Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector? 15 Mar 2007 00:23 #22479

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Oh, I didn't know they wanted to cheap out and do videos.

Re: Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector? 15 Mar 2007 12:43 #22480

• HollywoodOz
  • Junior Boarder
Well, the thinking is that it would be easier to buy a video set-up, use it occasionally indoors and annually for the outdoor weekend, and be able to stow it away when not in use.

35mm projector with platter... not so simple.

I'm just wondering what I should be looking for in a digi-projector so that the picture on the screen doesn't look like a sponge painting.

Re: Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector? 22 Mar 2007 15:58 #22481

• cft
  • Senior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HollywoodOz:
<B>I'm working with a local non-profit to try to get a weekend of outdoor cinema happening, and because they left it a little late to book a rental package, they're thinking about buying a low end/second hand projector/screen package instead.

I've done my research on this as best as I can - I know what some rental suppliers generally recommend for an event to be seen by 500 people (24 ft screen, 3000 lumens projector, five 300-watt speakers seems to be a solid average), but this non-profit really doesn't have a lot of cash for purchasing equipment ($10k seems to be their high end), so my question is, what is the barest bones set-up one could use to show a film to 500 folks after dark without them demanding their money back?

And what should I look for in a second hand projector in terms of technology?

Thanks in advance. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm e-mailing you some information on a couple who helped my non-profit out with their Mobile Movie set-up--very inexpensive and they handle concessions.

Re: Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector? 23 Mar 2007 13:46 #22482

• HollywoodOz
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks cft, but I'm in the Northwest, and am really looking to buy rather than rent.

Appreciate the effort though!

Re: Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector? 29 Mar 2007 09:05 #22483

• cft
  • Senior Boarder
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HollywoodOz:
<B>Thanks cft, but I'm in the Northwest, and am really looking to buy rather than rent.

Appreciate the effort though!
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't realize you were so far away! Actually, you may call them just to see how they obtained their equipment. It is extremely user-friendly and compact. It takes about 30 minutes to set up everything and adjust, a little longer to tear down.
The equipment paid for itself in no time. The owner bought a little truck with a lift to keep it all in when it's not in use. Your non-profit may even be able to rent it out to other events to help offset the costs!

Re: Outdoor cinema - what to look for in a projector? 17 Jul 2012 07:28 #38884

• richi123
  • Fresh Boarder
i am also interested in Mobile outdoor cinema. Can you please send me the setup details.

Thanks,
Richi
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction