Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth PowerPoint - Where to start
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: PowerPoint - Where to start

PowerPoint - Where to start 03 Apr 2006 12:57 #22446

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I have a video projector now, but have never used PowerPoint or any other similar program. Where/how should I start? I just want to make up some still photo's welcoming my patrons and a few to reinforce a couple rules. I'd like to do some local scenic and old-time photos and of course a few still ads.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: PowerPoint - Where to start 03 Apr 2006 17:13 #22447

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Look at openoffice.org for a no cost MS Office substitute, they have a Power Point knock off.

I've heard that Quicktime is the prefered route to go and can support video.

The Whatever for Dummies series of books is a good place to start.

Re: PowerPoint - Where to start 03 Apr 2006 20:44 #22448

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
The open office.org version will work fine if you don't want to shell out $$ for MS Office with Powerpoint.

2 years ago I started teaching myself Powerpoint and found it very easy to learn. I currently have my boxoffice times displayed on a 19" monitor that displays showtimes, pics of the movies, and trailers I download off Apples site in Quicktime and convert to avi.

My concession menu is displayed on a 32" plasma screen with animations of various items along with items and prices.

The boxoffice display takes me about 5-10 minutes a week to update. A bit longer if I'm adding some new stuff.

I'm currently working on creating an interactive kiosk display for people interested in viewing movie trailers or get production info. on one of the current or coming soon attractions. Going to incorporate sponsor advertising into this one.

Currently not doing pre-show displays as an outside vendor handles that but have created some sample shows just to experiment.

What I enjoy about it is the freedom to create a unique display and the ability to change something on the fly if needed. Plus the displays really catch peoples eyes and I've seen an increase in pc at the stand since changing over.

[This message has been edited by reelman (edited April 03, 2006).]

Re: PowerPoint - Where to start 04 Apr 2006 14:16 #22449

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Do you run your concession display with one powerpoint or are you dividing up the screen somehow the way NEC was demostrating.

I would be really interested in seeing a sample of your concession display. Can you post or email pictures?

Thanks!

Re: PowerPoint - Where to start 04 Apr 2006 20:32 #22450

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
Separate computers run each presentation. The one at the boxoffice is an oldie computer I had laying around. As that presentation has no graphic animation, I only have it loaded with PP reader(downloadable free from MS). The one at concession is a more recent model that handles the flashier stuff.

Send me your email address to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and I'll send you part of the boxoffice file. If your computer has PP reader, you'll be able to see two slides.

[This message has been edited by reelman (edited April 04, 2006).]

Re: PowerPoint - Where to start 05 Apr 2006 13:18 #22451

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks!

What I really meant was were you running just one powerpoint on the concession screen or somehow dividing the screen into areas. I meet someone at show west who is using 4 flat computer monitors with 4 video cards to make up his concession sign.

Re: PowerPoint - Where to start 05 Apr 2006 16:23 #22452

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
One view on the monitors. Chris at Texas Digital, who posts here from time to time, has the software to split things. For my needs(and budget), this works for me at the moment.

Re: PowerPoint - Where to start 01 Oct 2006 13:13 #22453

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
Finally got the PowerPoint presentation up last night. The picture is nice and sharp. I have two questions:

1) I want to add the trivia questions supplied by Pepsi. Am I supposed to just scan those pictures they send me and then incorporate them into the presentation?

2) Is it possible to hook up the BenQ projector to my automation? Now I have to turn it on and off with the remote and can only do that from one particular spot in the auditorium near the booth.

[This message has been edited by BurneyFalls (edited October 01, 2006).]

Re: PowerPoint - Where to start 01 Oct 2006 21:19 #22454

• reelman
  • Gold Boarder
The vendor who provided our digital projectors running the pre-show wired an outlet which is 24/7. The digital projectors are plugged into that outlet. They have another control box plugged into an outlet in the console which turns on/off when we start the film projector. Upon start, the lamp fan on the digital stays on to cool the bulb but the audio/video are killed to the screen. Don't know if this helps in any way.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction