Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: digital tracks

digital tracks 27 Jan 2006 21:35 #22270

We are sub-run most of the time, so we rely on getting DTS discs so that we can run digital sound. Dolby digital tracks fail if the print comes from another location after a run of more than about five weeks. If we get a new or young print, the Dolby digital track will stay on its original fault level right through the season, thanks to Film Guard.
Sometimes we get a newish print that’s been running at an indie we know with ancient gear and it is perfect. So it could be a maintenance problem. Perhaps an operator at a 10 screen doesn’t have time to scrape the build-up off the gate runners or re-set Film Guard media.
I have heard that our penthouse reader is better than basement readers so I wouldn’t like my chances with the latter. Would it be pertinent to advise sub-run houses to forgo the expense of a Dolby Digital set up and stick with a first rate analog set up?
Unfortunately, dts discs are rare with “art house” releases, even those with a time code. However, they usually have a pretty good SR track.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: digital tracks 29 Jan 2006 12:21 #22271

• Dominic
  • Junior Boarder
It's a tough call.
If you're an art house you should probably stay with Dolby digital and keep a proper SR system.
Dolby's the most widely used format and for the most part unless it's ancient I always saw pretty decent condition on the indie, foreign, documentary, etc. films we picked up at the art house.

Re: digital tracks 30 Jan 2006 01:10 #22272

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
agreed, I usually show films in the six to eight week old range and rarely have a problem with the dolby digital soundtrack. The DTS discs that come with the print are usually in a broken box and may be bent up by the time I get them. I personally think DTS is a bad idea for someone who plays older films....
"What a crazy business"

Re: digital tracks 30 Jan 2006 13:26 #22273

• Dominic
  • Junior Boarder
Again it's a matter of how well the previous projectionist is taking care of the prints. A good projectionist will try and assure the discs a safe trip.

Conversely a good projectionist will try and insure the digital tracks aren't damaged.

Re: digital tracks 30 Jan 2006 14:15 #22274

• Avco
  • Expert Boarder
DTS discs are not available to all regions, even if there is timecode on a print. It all depends on the studio that released the film. To which market or region discs are available. This has been a problem in all markets too.

[This message has been edited by Avco (edited January 30, 2006).]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction