Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 35mm and 16mm

35mm and 16mm 23 Oct 2005 22:50 #22188

• mannooss
  • Senior Boarder
Sorry to post this here but I don't know where else to go.

Can 16mm films play on a 35mm projector? If so, are there any downsides to doing this...damage to the projector,sound problems, etc...?

Thanks,

PJM
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 35mm and 16mm 24 Oct 2005 01:23 #22189

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
NO. However, Norelco/Phillips/Kinotone made a combination 16/35mm projector 20 years ago.

Re: 35mm and 16mm 24 Oct 2005 09:28 #22190

• Avco
  • Expert Boarder
I've seen a Simplex XL outfited with a B&H 16mm (1500 series) movement that swings in front of the XL for showing 16mm. The light source is an old Christie console. It works.

Re: 35mm and 16mm 24 Oct 2005 15:20 #22191

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
16mm films can not play on a common 35mm projector. There are several reasons for this.

16mm film is half the width of 35, so the guides are not compatible. There are 4 sprockets per frame on 35, but only one on 16, so the intermittent movement is not compatible. With the smaller frame size, a lamphouse would need serious refocusing, and I doubt current lamps can do that to any effective degree.

What you wonder about is kind of like trying to stick an 8-track cartridge in to a cassette machine or trying to fit a shopping cart tire on a John Deer tractor. The media is just not designed for the machinery.

As for dual-purpose equipment, you'd probably be far better off finding a 16mm machine that you could set up for when you need it. There are many models out there, from classroom-sized audio-visual machines with incandescent lamps, up to large, industrial models with xenon lamps. Small to mid-sized machines are commonly found on Ebay.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction