Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: take-up intermittent problem

take-up intermittent problem 30 Jan 2004 12:36 #21839

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I have an intermittent problem with my platter. about 4 times now in the last week the take-up has failed to start up. The voltage regulator arm continues to drop down until it bottoms out and shuts down, then the film spills out on the floor. Usually I catch it while it's still leader on the floor. Also the pay-out by this time has wrapped around the brain several times. Here is how I've been coping. First I spin the take-up platter by hand until I wind up the slack. Then I crank the projector by hand until the brain wrap frees up. Usually by this time the first trailer has started so I go turn down the theater volume. then I roll it by hand a little while more and I can tell the take-up is responding. Then I turn it all back on and it works!

First of all, what is causing this?

Secondly, is there a better method if it does happen again?

I don't know too much about the platter. It is a used ballantyne platter with 48" tables.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

[This message has been edited by leeler (edited February 03, 2004).]
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: take-up intermittent problem 31 Jan 2004 03:17 #21840

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Is this happening on one particular deck or all three decks? If on one deck only check for worn motor brushes, dirty motor commutator, loose screw in the motor cable twistlock connector.

If it happens with all three decks you probably have a worn variac brush (wiper contact point) down in the variac box.

Re: take-up intermittent problem 31 Jan 2004 09:17 #21841

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
well, frankly, when it happens I'm so interested in getting the movie working again that I forget the details. I know it has happened on the upper deck but I'm not sure if it has happened elsewhere or not. I think I need for it to fail again (perish the thought) in iorder to say it's one deck versus any deck. I'll try to be more aware.

Thanks

Lee
"What a crazy business"

Re: take-up intermittent problem 31 Jan 2004 11:22 #21842

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
If you have the motors that plug into the column with a twist lock plug take the male plug apart. There is probably a loose screw securing one (or more) of the wires going to the motor. Vibration makes these screws work loose causing intermittent motor operation. A motor with worn brushes can also cause intermittent operation. Remove the two screws inside the motor that hold the brush retaining clamp bracket. Let the brush slide back away from the commutator. If the protrusion is 3/8" or less then the brush is too worn. New ones can be bought from Grainger or you can also buy from a Strong/Potts dealer.

Re: take-up intermittent problem 03 Feb 2004 17:23 #21843

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
Just an update. I got through last weeks movie without the problem occuring. What I've been doing is getting the movie ready well in advance of showtime. Then I roll the projector motor wheel forward by hand to just the right spot on the leader where when I flip on the projector it'll start the first preview. What I did before was just get the leader to that spot and then push the start button without the hand turning. Did I explain this well enough? Do you think this had any bearing on the problem?

Thanks again for your consideration.

Lee
"What a crazy business"

Re: take-up intermittent problem 06 Feb 2004 15:07 #21844

I have a feeling as some others have mentioned you have worn motor brushes.

Re: take-up intermittent problem 09 Apr 2004 08:16 #21845

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, it hasn't happened since. I can't explain it. Must be operator error or something
. I'm just glad it seems to be over......
"What a crazy business"

Re: take-up intermittent problem 10 Apr 2004 16:12 #21846

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I would still check the brushes. Things like this don't happen without a reason, and your platter's old enough that the brushes could definitely be ready to go. So could the wiper brush on the variac, but as Ken said, that would effect the whole platter, not just one deck.

This is extra important, because worn brushes can cause arcing, which can burn the commutator, eventually to the point where you've got a problem that $10 worth of brushes will no longer fix.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction