Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Short projector

Short projector 30 Mar 2004 10:28 #21822

• bjork24
  • Junior Boarder
Ok, so the building we're moving into has incredibly low ceilings (12 foot 6 inches), meaning we have to get our projectors as high to the heavens as possible. We're going to be a twin, and we like the idea of intermissions, but I don't have room to spare for a 6,000 foot reel sitting on top of my projector! Any suggestions?

Avalon and Large have already given me some good suggestions, including an underslung reel-to-reel from Kinoton. I know that platters would cut down my "overhead" space but expand the overall space needed for each projector. So, should I use a platter and program it for intermissions... or something else?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Short projector 30 Mar 2004 12:36 #21823

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
You don't have to raise your projectors. Raise the light beam by using a "parascope" set-up to move your light beam to a port at the ceiling. This is what I plan to do in a "mini-cinema" with only 9 foot ceilings. Any glass company should be able to build one for you. Just make sure they use the highest quality mirrors available. This is a system that has been used in some theatres to clear heating ducts, etc.

Post or send me some pics when you get it done. Thanks.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Short projector 30 Mar 2004 13:42 #21824

• bjork24
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Bob! I didn't even know that was possible... I'll definitely look into that.

Re: Short projector 30 Mar 2004 14:12 #21825

• Adam Fraser
  • Expert Boarder
Bjork,
You also have to remember that most film distributors explicitly say "no" to intermissions in the master licence agreements that you have to sign to play their films. Otherwise we would put intermissions on every show that was more than 2 hrs long.

[This message has been edited by Adam Fraser (edited March 30, 2004).]

Re: Short projector 30 Mar 2004 14:59 #21826

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Raise the light beam by using a "parascope" set-up to move your light beam to a port at the ceiling.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! Each mirror sucks 30% of the light out of projection system. It's also a royal pain in the butt to focus. Place your projectors on a platform as high as you need. Carve in to the cieling if you can.

Not that you should do this, but mirrors should be "First Surface" mirrors where the reflective surface is on top, not under a layer of glass. Projection TVs use first surface mirrors. The reflector in the lamp house is a first surface reflector. If you use glass mirrors you get two reflections off of each mirror causing a slight double image.

[This message has been edited by Large (edited March 30, 2004).]

Re: Short projector 30 Mar 2004 15:25 #21827

• bjork24
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Large!

Re: Short projector 30 Mar 2004 15:31 #21828

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
If you don't want platters, and want to stay with large reels, but NOT have an upper magazine or reel arm, there USED to be a "double mut" system and a "tall texan" system (Texas Theater Supply) which were essentially large reels mounted vertically on a remote control console, and the film supplied to your projector through rollers similar to those used with a horizontal platter... Also, Cinemechanica has several projectors which use large reels mounted vertically on each side of the pedastal, and no upper magazine...

Re: Short projector 31 Mar 2004 14:37 #21829

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20

"NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! Each mirror sucks 30% of the light out of projection system. It's also a royal pain in the butt to focus. Place your projectors on a platform as high as you need. Carve in to the cieling if you can."

Easy boy! You need to do a little more research. Those mirrors will not eat up that much light. And not putting glass in the port will help off-set any light loss. It has been done successfully in some 'plexes. Check out Film-Tech. There's a story there with photos on one such set-up.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Short projector 31 Mar 2004 16:22 #21830

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I've projected in two houses that used parascopes. I couldn't focus them worth a damn and the bottom mirror was always dusty. Port glass, especially opticaly pure port glass doesn't lose much light. And port glass is essential for keeping projector noise out of the auditorium.

I got the following information off of the Stewart Screen Website for their mirror system for video projection. I would say that this is best case senario. In a parascope booth, you can't have any lights on at all.
http://www.stewartfilm.com/product_information/projection_screens_17.html

• First-surface 94% reflective glass mirror (standard size of 42" x 50") shipped pre-framed as a complete system

Mirror Light Loss:
Single Glass: 6%
Dual Glass: 12%
Single Mylar: 12%
Dual Mylar: 24%

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction