Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Potts Platters

Potts Platters 23 May 2003 09:52 #21754

• jholliger
  • Expert Boarder
My owner got his booths used and no manuals to refer to so can anyone point me in the right direction.... When I start our projector the take up platter starts off slow allowing the speed control to drop to the high setting, at which point the platter is now going too fast to the extent that it will now take up too quickly and snap the film. Do I adjust the tension on the drive rollers or should I look at the speed control?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Potts Platters 23 May 2003 10:21 #21755

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Manuals are available to download free at www.film-tech.com and click on "manuals". You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader as they are PDF files. The POTTS/STRONG/BALCO platters are exactly the same and they all originate from the same company: Design & Manufacturing (www.design-mfg.net). If your drive motors have the two white plastic wheels with the FLAT rubber belts, then you have what's known as the "Pre-Alpha" design (oldest). If your drive motors have a single large aluminum drive wheel with round rubber belts (drive tires) then you have an "Alpha". Alpha models have a rotary selector switch next to the motor labeled "Off-Payout-Makeup-Rewind". The pre-Alpha models have a toggle switch sticking out the side of the motor shell labeled "Payout-OFF-Rewind". I'm assuming you platter has microswitch payout heads (called "control plates"). If your platter has all black film rollers throughout, then it is fairly new (1992 and newer). If it has white film rollers it was made before 1992.

Does your problem occur with only one particular deck or with all the decks when in the takeup mode. If it happens with only one deck, then the deck is out of time. This is adjusted by moving the motor closer or farther away from the deck. Moving it closer to the deck slows the motor down and moving the motor farther away from the deck speeds it up. This type of adjustment only works to an extent. For instance if the motor is moved too far away from the deck, it can't drive the deck because it doesn't touch the deck!

If your problem occurs with any deck when selected as a takeup ("Rewind") deck then you need to do the "Electrical zero" adjustment to the variac inside the variac box at the bottom of the column.

At the film-tech website you'll want to download these manuals: "Potts Platter", "Strong Alpha operation manual", Strong Alpha Parts manual". For the makeup table you should also download these: "Strong 35mm table operation manual" and "Strong 35mm table parts manual".

This should get you started.

Re: Potts Platters 23 May 2003 10:54 #21756

The standard joke is. You play more film off the floor with potts platters than off the platter it's self.

This is a standard problem with potts I had 10 versiona of these they have now went to that great booth in the sky.

there is a way to regulate the speed as Ken pointed out by adjusting the motor tension.

also you may wish to check the condition of the motor brushes I found that this effected speed control as well.

Check the conditon of the rubber belts on the drive wheels when they get hard and crackes they do not wprk well.

Re: Potts Platters 23 May 2003 12:37 #21757

• jholliger
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the information. This site is great, full of help and guidance for everyone to share.

Re: Potts Platters 23 May 2003 15:50 #21758

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Here in western Washington 90% of the theaters use Strong/Potts platters. A few of the remaining Union projectionist booths in Seattle have Christie platters and a few of the indys use other brands.

Re: Potts Platters 24 May 2003 11:44 #21759

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
jholliger:

How did it turn out? Any update on the problem? Is it fixed?

Re: Potts Platters 26 May 2003 20:02 #21760

• jholliger
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Ken, the motor adjust did the trick didn't even have to try the zero adjust.

Re: Potts Platters 26 May 2003 23:26 #21761

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Glad to help!

Re: Potts Platters 01 Jan 2004 13:50 #21762

Does anyone have the links to: Balco's website and Potts website?

If you can read this, consider yourself lucky, because everytime I try to submit a post on this website, my comp crashes. I will post updates (A Projectionist Is Born!)from my new computer once it gets shipped to me.

Well, I'll try checking this later.

"Would you like fries with that?"
Since 1987

Re: Potts Platters 01 Jan 2004 16:58 #21763

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Potts doesn't have a website, but the Strong platter is the Potts design and they have a website.

Remember the Web has only been around 15 years.

Re: Potts Platters 01 Jan 2004 19:09 #21764

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
The platters all originate at Design & Mfg Co. (website posted in above replies) and are sold by both Potts and Strong. Balco and Strong are the same company (www.strong-cinema.com)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction