Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: SDDS Sound

SDDS Sound 13 Jul 2002 13:48 #21202

Say I want to have SDDS, DTS and DOLBY EX in my largest (500 seat) auditorium. What reader, decoder and processors will I need? Can I have SDDS as an option, that I run when I can, and run regular DTS the other time.

I want to know this because SDDS is 8 channel, and I want to know that if you go with 8 channel, are the other systems compatible.

"I don't want you playing with something that has such bizarre hair. Such awful, awful hair!"
-Marge Simpson, on Bart's toy trolls
Since 1987
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: SDDS Sound 13 Jul 2002 14:10 #21203

yes.

we had DTS and SDDS in the same set up using an Ultra Stereo processor. they were configured to you only threaded the one you were going to use. However the guys would forget and thread both then you dts would be out of sync. So i reconfigured where you had to thread both.

Re: SDDS Sound 13 Jul 2002 14:44 #21204

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
An SDDS processor is self-supporting so no matter what else you have; you can have SDDS as well. All systems can have analogue sound as well. So you can buy just the one Dolby CP650 and have Analogue and Digital or the SDDS 3000 and have both Analogue and Digital and there is a DTS system that has both. You can also get a third party processor like Panastereo or Ultra Stereo and use all the digital systems with it.

But the most cost effective way is to pick one digital system per auditorium and stick with it. Also if you agree to use just one digital system in your entire complex you can negotiate a price reduction.

My personal preference is for Dolby simply because they are the biggest and have them most films released with Dolby Digital. Plus most Art Films will likely be Dolby Digital. Each system has its advantages and disadvantages. I used to work in a 12-plex where to two largest auditoriums were set up with all three systems. I never got a clear consensus as to which one was better. We used to start with the SDDS if it were available.

90% of the films will have the Dolby Digital track.

50% of the films will have the DTS time code but only 25% of those will ship with discs. You can ask for the discs and get them shipped to you half the time.

30% of the films will have the SDDS track.

Regardless of who sounds the best, Dolby wins!

Re: SDDS Sound 13 Jul 2002 15:00 #21205

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
There is a picture of my projector with all the soundheads stacked up on top of each other.

Look at www.film-tech.com and look in pictures for UA Greenwood Plaza.

[This message has been edited by Large (edited July 13, 2002).]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction