Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth Eprad center surround?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Eprad center surround?

Eprad center surround? 02 Aug 2001 09:12 #21010

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
In our last remaining non stereo screen it is still mono and we were offered a Eprad center surround system for 500.00, I can pick up a bunch of JBL speakers for it at +/- 75.00. Is it worth it? The speakers would be fine in the future, the wire would be good, we could always upgrade it again. Thoughts? Has anyone ever used that Eprad center surround?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Eprad center surround? 02 Aug 2001 09:19 #21011

If it is a Starlet you will be less than happy with the results. It uses in effect a switch on the surround channel to snap it on and off. Also it has no time delay.
They did a later revision of the format board with momentary contacts that was better. The latest version is called the DSS which is a 4 channel that can be configured for FS operation and has SR capability as 2 digital inputs a intigrated LED or excitor PS and Monitor and biamp crossovers
The DSS is a good unit the starlets were not
Also on the Starlet the amp module is no longer available from RCA and it was in fct barely 50 watt output into 8 ohms (they claimed 100 into 4
)
hope that helps

Re: Eprad center surround? 02 Aug 2001 17:06 #21012

• Mike
  • Administrator
Exactumundo what I was seeking. It will help make the decision. I think our guy did say it would take sr cards so I hope it's the later and not our little starlet!

It doesn't pay to buy bad stuff. It's never a deal. It always costs more in the end.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Eprad center surround? 02 Aug 2001 23:29 #21013

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
It seems with all the closures out there, you should be able to scam some better equipment. When I converted my mono house to stereo surround I got a Dolby CP55, monitor amp, two 200 wt stereo amps, exciter power supply, stereo solor cell, wall mount rack, subwoofer card, and eight JBL surround speakers (with wall mount brackets. Don't forget those!). I built my stage speakers (to specs with 1" MDF, proper cross-overs, etc.) and did all my own work. It came in well under $2500, even with the wire and the tech coming in and doing the final tweeking. I can go digutal, if the need strikes -- plus i got everything from Scott at ACE, so if there's a problem i know it's taken care of. Made a world of difference. Opening "Easy Rider" this wknd just to hear the music LOUD on the new system!
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Eprad center surround? 04 Aug 2001 18:29 #21014

• Mike
  • Administrator
Thank you folks.......I passed on the Starlett (that's what it was) and when I read Gordon's descript to my techies he said........ "I agree except for 500 it's a good deal." I said If I've got the wire, the speakers, and the exciter we're talking another 1500.00 +/- for Ultra." So......no Eprad.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Eprad center surround? 05 Aug 2001 00:18 #21015

I saw a Dobly cp50 on Ebay for $99 and a old Ultra Stereo and an Eprad Starlet.

some one was also selling the exciter lamp sockets for Simplex since they had converted to red LED

Re: Eprad center surround? 10 Aug 2001 19:14 #21016

Well if you really want a Starlet this one is just a little overpriced http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1452846280
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction