Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Booth Directional Speaker Wire?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Directional Speaker Wire?

Directional Speaker Wire? 03 Jul 2001 22:03 #20950

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Granted, I may not be the smartest armadillo on the highway, but I’m in the process of installing surround and new stage speakers. I needed 12 gage wire to run to the three stage speakers. Was in a hurry so I got it from a guy who sells speaker wire from his house – not a bad price. As I’m installing the wire, I notice and arrow stamped on the wire with the phrase “Signal Direction.” What am I missing here? Mono directional speaker wire? Is there a reason you would run a signal one way but not another down a wire? Again, colour me stupid, but isn’t the negative wire “moving” in the opposite direction of the positive, anyway? Just wondered if I’m so critically out of the loop that this makes sense to everyone else but me.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Directional Speaker Wire? 04 Jul 2001 02:14 #20951

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Maybe the wire was custom stamped/marked for a special job/application.

Re: Directional Speaker Wire? 04 Jul 2001 17:15 #20952

It has to be marked for a special situation wire is wire there are no directions for current, It was prob marked to indicate to someone in the future that the source was in one direction speaker in the other. Thats like having truck air in your car tires. no wonder your car was driving so bad you have got truck air in the tires.

Re: Directional Speaker Wire? 04 Jul 2001 18:11 #20953

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok, that might make sence: If you grab a bundle of wires and you cannot tell if they are coming from or going to the source, it would be handy to know if, say, you're chasing a short or broken wire. It makes me feel a little less moronic for making sure they're running in the right direction. Now i'm gonna get that truck air out of my car tires and see if that helps . . . .
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Directional Speaker Wire? 05 Jul 2001 07:53 #20954

that wire must be made by the makers of the "Sky Mop" to clean those really big spills in auditoriums

Re: Directional Speaker Wire? 15 Jul 2001 10:30 #20955

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
We're doing the same thing in one of our rooms. What did you pay for wire? What is the best wire to use?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Directional Speaker Wire? 16 Jul 2001 13:23 #20956

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
I paid about .40 a foot for the 12 gage speaker wire: Synapse Gold Quadratic Balance Plus Professional Speaker Wire by Belkin (not Belden). I think shipping it to your coast would be expensive from here, but you may be able to find it on your coast. It's heavy but works very well. Most imortanly, the tech didn't make fun of it when he came in to do the A&B Chains
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Directional Speaker Wire? 17 Jul 2001 10:42 #20957

Expensive designer speaker wire is a waste of money that doesn't provide any improvement to sound quality
In most medium sized theatres all that is reqired is tight twisted 12AWG stranded pairs.
If one doesn't like twisting West Penn/ Belden/Provo and Alpha all make pre twisted jacketed plenum cables that work fine
If the runs are getting long then 10AWG
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction