Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rialto Acustical Problems

Rialto Acustical Problems 13 Mar 2000 13:36 #20877

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
We have a funky 5-plex with a few acustical problems. Our #4 screen's theatre has the booth floor over the auditorium. You can hear the Speco platters rumbling in the auditorium. There is also a bit of hallway in the room. About 10 feet of parallel walls that are un-treated.

What can I do to quiet the rumble?

What can I do to quiet the hallway?

[This message has been edited by Large (edited March 13, 2000).]
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Rialto Acustical Problems 13 Mar 2000 23:37 #20878

• jrjrfm
  • Fresh Boarder
First, was there an isolation barrier installed between the floor joists and the
sub-flooring? (IE: a 1/2" layer of sound
board on top of joist then OSB or plywood subflooring on top of that? If not, the sound of the projector & platter are transmitting directly to the ceiling by way of the floor joists. One remedy is to purchase neoprene or cork filled support/damping pads, set them under the three feet on the platter and under the four corners of the projector pedistal/
console this will elimnate some of the noise.
The other thing is to install an isolated ceiling under the booth..fisrt, remove sheetrock on ceiling, then install z-metal
strips across the joists at 16" O.C., then screw on new layer of sheetrock to these strips. (Install R-19 insulation in the ceiling space at the same time) This will afford about the best solution next to pouring a lightweight concrete floor in the booth. Good luck!
Equipment vibration damping pads are available from WW Grainger and other sources.
Contact John at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it if you
need further information.

Re: Rialto Acustical Problems 14 Mar 2000 06:41 #20879

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
When we built our last screen we put in an actual balcony with the booth on the balcony floor. Inside the booth we framed a wall to wall box that almost looked like a swim float. It took up every inch of the room. there were anti-vibe pads under the entire everything. The box which actually became the floor of the booth had no connections to the floor beneath it or the walls on the side..anti vibe pads there too. The projectors and platter were placed on this and there's no vibration or noise. People sit up against the wall of the booth and they can't hear it or feel it. Staggered 2x4 twin wall of double 3/4" sheet rock, the metal strips mentioned, fibglass insulation, and a layer of 3/4" tile board which IS rock! And you know what? it's quiet. I'd start with anti vibe pads... assorted are available at any Graingers. The hallway? Not seeing it... I'd reccomend a double layer of sheet rock on it and then another sepearte no touch wall built at least 1" out from it. Don't forget to caulk... little pinholes carry a lot of sound! Carpet is a good thing!

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited March 14, 2000).]
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Rialto Acustical Problems 14 Mar 2000 14:36 #20880

• Large
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks guys.

This has to be a do it yourself project. I will investigate the isolation pads and we will probably carpet the hallway.

If I don't use the isolation pads, can I just put the platter on a lyer of 1 1/2" plywood? It would rest on carpet and might ad a layer of dampening and Isolation to the problem.

Re: Rialto Acustical Problems 15 Mar 2000 12:30 #20881

• jrjrfm
  • Fresh Boarder
No, the plywwod even on carpet would not serve much use. the sheer weight applied to each foot on the platter would still transmit through the floor. Pads are the best way to start!

Re: Rialto Acustical Problems 15 Mar 2000 13:41 #20882

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
DYI??? Forget the pads from Grainger's or anwhere else..you can make your own out of spare junk.Here.. make a sandwich of 2 pieces of thin plywood, a layer of wall to wall carpet, a couple of layers of dense foam (camp sleep bag type is perfect) and that will stop gazzillions of sounds and vibes!This should end up being about 6" square and about 2" high. Put it under each foot of the platter and she's done!
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction