Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Teens loitering in lobby

Re: Teens loitering in lobby 17 Mar 2006 21:40 #20663

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi,

I am lookign at a twin in a small town and for the last few years the teens have taking over. So much that adults don't go and when they do go to the movies they travel about an hour away.
The owners were two eldery people and had teens running the place. The place is a mess and needs work but has a potewntial. Has 4 rentals tow huge audioriums in a nice sound brick building.
The price is so good that there is room for improvements. Seats, sound, and just a make over.
The problem is what is the chances of truning it around and getting the town people back and the kids under control.
I have worked for NY transit and have worked with the scum of the earth and have handled 100/s of fighting screaming kids and should be able to handle that. But theatre owners make it sound like a horror show and seem to have done what these people have done and look the other way. Why?
Has anyone ever tried to hire a bouncer or security guard to handle this? I think that may work until things get under control.
Also enforce the ratings under 17 can not attend R-rated shows and alot of theatres here in NY after 6PM regardless of rating will not be admited without a parent.
I am crazy to think these things!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Teens loitering in lobby 17 Mar 2006 23:19 #20664

It depends if you are planning short or long term.
Long term:
Try to avoid running teen flicks for a while. We did this when we took over. It helps if you have a major nearby; they have no choice but to run all the teen garbage. The kids will soon abandon you and go to the mall.
It doesn’t matter whether or not you let them in, if you have a teen flick on they will hang around. Unfortunately a lot of major studio output is teen fare.
If you have to show the action blockbusters, can you re-arrange the foyer and staff so that it has separate ticketing? It might be possible to have a combination coffee bar and ticket kiosk for the adult side.
Even steer towards “art” films as well as adult fare. The nicer kids will come. Fifty people who appreciate the film is more profitable than 100 people who need twice the staff to manage them.
Have a single ticket price (if prices are $5, $7 and $9, make it $8 for all). This does cause distress to the 99% of customers who are entitled to a concession but it could discourage the teens.
Try a daytime special that will attract the seniors – the packs only hunt at night. Do not have late sessions.
Bouncers can attract the “have-a-go” toughies, so their presence should be discrete – almost invisible till needed, then swift to pounce.

Re: Teens loitering in lobby 18 Mar 2006 20:09 #20665

• Pieman
  • Gold Boarder
wow, I can't believe you would concider not running the teen flicks to keep them away!! Thats abandoning your most profitable customers..teens may be a pain at times, but they sure spend up big!!
If it was me, I would get in a few more ushers who would keep them in line..We find that you only have to boot kids out once or twice for the message to be passed along to their peers that the cinema people won't stand for kids messing about anymore, then once the message is received, cut back the ushers a little and just keep checking them during the evening. We have very little trouble with teenagers here. You always know more young ones come in the take the place of the ones who already learnt their lesson, so you have to remain consistant. Our policy is
1st time- ask nicely for them to concider other people and be quiet/sit down etc

2nd time- warn them that they will be asked to leave if anyone has to speak to any of them for any reason whatso ever..and all will be asked to leave, not just the perpertrator

3rd time- ask them to leave. they will no doubt whine and carry on..but you just remain calm and firm and tell them you gave them fair warning. If they refuse point blank to leave, tell them you are calling the police and do so. Usually they will have left by the time the cops arrive. You can also just get the film stopped. Depending how bad their 'crime" is. Give all the other patrons a free ticket and continue the film at your descretion

Re: Teens loitering in lobby 06 Apr 2006 20:15 #20666

• jacker5
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I Think a town meeting with the locals and police captain is in order!
I really can't see teens taking over your business like this.
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction