Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Sidewalk Monsters vs. Aliens gets 3D Super Bowl promo
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Monsters vs. Aliens gets 3D Super Bowl promo

Monsters vs. Aliens gets 3D Super Bowl promo 04 Jan 2009 20:58 #30652

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
LOS ANGELES – Talk about a monster of a promotion.

Some 150 million 3D glasses will be given away for Super Bowl viewers to watch a three-minute 3D sneak preview of the big-screen animated feature "Monsters vs. Aliens." While 3D telecasts are nothing new, this marks the first time one has been done for such a large audience.

DreamWorks Animation chief executive Jeffrey Katzenberg called the stunt "perhaps the biggest media-advertising event in history." He wouldn't give a hard figure on the cost, but said it "involves tens of millions of dollars."

Katzenberg promised the quality of the 3D will be superior to what has been done in the past. He said the glasses will use Intel InTru 3D and ColorCode 3-D, which updates the old red-blue Anaglyph system.

The technology will also allow those without the glasses to see an almost ordinary image on the TV screen. But, Katzenberg added, it still doesn't come close to the 3D quality moviegoers will see in theaters when the film opens stateside March 27.

"Monsters vs. Aliens" follows a group of ragtag Earthling monsters who are out to save the world following an alien invasion. The film features the voices of Reese Witherspoon, Seth Rogen and Kiefer Sutherland.

The glasses will be distributed free at Pepsi/SoBe Life Water displays at 28,000 locations including grocery, drug and electronics stores and big-box retailers.

The promotion was unveiled Saturday during NBC's telecast of the AFC Wild Card Playoffs between the Indianapolis Colts and San Diego Chargers. NBC, which will air the Super Bowl on Feb. 1, has its own interest in making sure the glasses are used, as it will air a 3D episode of its series "Chuck" the following night.

"Monsters vs Aliens" is co-directed by Rob Letterman ("Shark Tale") and Conrad Vernon ("Shrek 2"), who supervised production of the promotion that will air during the Super Bowl.

The directors said they will be watching the telecast from home. "With beer," Vernon said, laughing. "We're going to test the effects of beer and 3D," said Letterman.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090104/ap_en_tv/film3d_promotion_2
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Monsters vs. Aliens gets 3D Super Bowl promo 05 Jan 2009 15:15 #30659

• Transit Drive in
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Did anyone have "issues" when showing the 2D version of a heavily advertised 3D release, such as JOURNEY 3D last summer?

The "issues" I am referring to are customer confusion which occurs when they expect to see the 3D version in a 2D theatre. MONSTERS VS. ALIENS will be showing in both 2D and 3D, even in some of the same complexes. Since much of the advertising will be geared toward the 3D version, there is likely to be some miscomunication or misunderstandings between what some customers expect to view, and what the 2D-only theatre will be offering.

We had only a few problems of this nature last summer with JOURNEY 3D, but with the increased hype and demand for MONSTERS 3D, it could become a bigger issue this time around.

Rick
"As long as there are sunsets and stars at night, there will always be drive-in movies."

Re:Monsters vs. Aliens gets 3D Super Bowl promo 05 Jan 2009 18:06 #30660

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I had a few people on the last night of a two-week run of BOLT ask me for 3D glasses. I explained the closest theatre with digital 3D capability is over 200 miles away. I think there will be alot of confusion about this.

Re:Monsters vs. Aliens gets 3D Super Bowl promo 06 Jan 2009 12:00 #30662

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I was surprised but I did not hear any of our customers ask about 3D on Bolt.

Re:Monsters vs. Aliens gets 3D Super Bowl promo 06 Jan 2009 16:35 #30663

• lionheart
  • Platinum Boarder
When I played Bolt, nobody mentioned 3D. Mostly, the ones who said anything to me just asked, "What is Bolt? What is it about?" They had never heard of it. It could be different with something like Monsters vs. Aliens with a superbowl promo.

Re:Monsters vs. Aliens gets 3D Super Bowl promo 06 Jan 2009 16:36 #30664

• lionheart
  • Platinum Boarder
When I played Bolt, nobody mentioned 3D. Mostly, the ones who said anything to me just asked, "What is Bolt? What is it about?" They had never heard of it. It could be different with something like Monsters vs. Aliens with a superbowl promo.

Re:Monsters vs. Aliens gets 3D Super Bowl promo 16 Jan 2009 18:37 #30716

• BECKWITH1
  • Platinum Boarder
I hear a lot about it when a movie is heavily advertised in 3D. Most people don't even hear the words "IN SELECT THEATRES". They hear "3D" and expect it to be in 3D. We have had to put black tape over all posters and advertising materials which arrive with the words 3D on them as we do not wished to be sued for false advertising. I refund tickets if people change their mind about seeing the movie after they have asked and been told that the movie is not in 3D. I think that the distributors are creating a monster by advertising something that is not generally available and people feel tricked. Our closest 3D competitor is only about 20 or so miles away but I often have people walk away and go to one of the chain plexes nearer to us instead (They are also not showing it in 3D and sometimes people come back after finding that out). It is clear to me that when my nearest competitors can show it in 3d we will no longer be interested in booking those films.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction