Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Sidewalk Strangest patron situation yet
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Strangest patron situation yet

Strangest patron situation yet 06 Aug 2007 08:12 #20831

OK, its been 2 years and other than my all but canceled midnight shows I have never had to throw anyone of the the Grand.

Until Saturday night with the help of my local police.

We have a small balcony/VIP room that seats 12. The admission is 2x the auditorium seating ($4 eve/$3 mat) and includes free popcorn and soda refills.

We received a request last week to reserve all 12 for a birthday party for our Pirates:Worlds End show Sat at 7. Perfectly normal.

I start the show and about 45 minutes into it leave to go get dinner down the street.

While I am eating I get a call from my assistant that the guests upstairs are SMOKING and seemingly DRINKING.

These were people in their 40s. I told her not to approach them as I feared a scene with a goodly amount of families in the auditorium. I abandon my dinner and on my way back to the theater call the local police for "backup" just in case. The fact they were smoking sent a ton of red flags up in my head....I wanted them to leave quietly to the point the auditorium would not know.

I get there in about 2 minutes as do the police.

The officer and I go upstairs and I politely ask them to step into the lobby for a moment. They very quietly do so. Thank God (The Cop helped here).

They go out to the lobby and the cop checks the balcony. He finds some open liquor containers and brings them down.

They deny it (of course) and deny smoking. The cop shows them the bottles and a few of them say they were not doing it. I explain that I run a tight ship, and this behavior is not tolerated. If some of them had no knowledge that others were behaving badly I am sorry, but they are going to have to leave. I dont press charges and the officer takes a report, they leave, and comes back to talk to me.

Here's the kicker.

They were a group of 40-somethings out for a birthday party for one of their own. They were all TEACHERS from the local Private Prep School.

-2 years of Operation.
-1st customers thrown out for a non-midnight show
Pretty Good.
-Having those thrown out being teachers from the private Prep School
PRICELESS!

Ed Buchinski,
Grand Theater,
East Greenville PA
www.thegrandtheater.org
Ed Buchinski,
Grand Theater,
East Greenville PA
www.thegrandtheater.org
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Strangest patron situation yet 06 Aug 2007 09:33 #20832

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
just cant make this stuff up.....

Re: Strangest patron situation yet 06 Aug 2007 11:04 #20833

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
That really IS classic.

In this state, you can't smoke inside any building that has employees in it, nor within 25 feet of any door or window that might let air into the building.

The drinking notwithstanding, your situation would have been an easy call here, too.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction