Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Summer Movies

Summer Movies 29 Mar 2007 08:50 #20750

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
For those of you who went to Showest. What looked hot for this summer?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Summer Movies 29 Mar 2007 19:35 #20751

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
I was surprised that the big budget movies weren't advertised more at ShoWest. Hardly anything at all about Spidey 3 except a couple of movie posters. I don't know if any one particular person's opinion on what "hot" is means that much, but I think a movie's success is somewhat tied into the amount of advertising dollars spent. If you follow that logic, these movies were heavily advertised there:

- Transformers (more than any other movie, without a doubt- Transformers stuff everywhere. Get ready for long lines.)
- The Simpsons Movie
- Hairspray (I personally think this will be huge)
- The Golden Compass
- Shrek 3
- Fantastic Four 3
- Surf's Up
- Ocean's 13
- Gigli 2

(ok, maybe not that last one)
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau

Re: Summer Movies 31 Mar 2007 10:59 #20752

I agree with Transformers being huge, reminds me a bit of Independence Day.

I think Hairspray is going to be a surprise hit too.

Other summer pics
Pirates (of course)
Harry Potter
Knocked Up (early test screening results are saying it is funnier than 40 year old virgin.)
Stardust ** keeping my eye on this one

Re: Summer Movies 03 Apr 2007 13:23 #20753

• HollywoodOz
  • Junior Boarder
Trust me on this - go heavy on Knocked Up. Played hugely at SXSW. Big audiences, much buzz, and it delivers.

I wouldn't say the same for Hairspray. It kind of reminds me of The Producers in that, for one, the original has been out on video for over a decade, and two, Broadway doesn't always draw well on the big screen (see Producers, Phantom of the Opera, Rent).

Re: Summer Movies 08 Apr 2007 10:04 #20754

• Cinemateer
  • Gold Boarder
Hairspray isn't just another broadway musical remake, it's actually a comedy that breaks out into song every once in awhile. They showed about 15 mins at ShoWest and John Travolta dressed up like a large woman was hilarious. Think Grease. Just the fact that Travolta is in his first musical since Grease will draw people. Lots of stars, too (John Travolta, Queen Latifah, Michelle Pfeifer, Christopher Walkin, Amanda Bynes, and tons more).

I personally don't like musicals on the big screen at all, but this one is so different I may give it a shot. If the promotionals at ShoWest are any indication (entire cast & crew were there and performed three songs on stage), they're obviously betting big on it.
"In a place like this, the magic is all around you. The trick is to see it." -Martin Landau
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction