Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Sidewalk Escape to the Movies?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Escape to the Movies?

Escape to the Movies? 16 Mar 2006 09:23 #20623

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
That's why I go. I enjoy all those adventure, sci-fi and fantasy flixs. In a world that seems to be in termoil and getting worse; why would you go to see a film about devorce, terrorists, war, crime ect. Don't you get enough from the newspaper and tv? I think movies should be an escape full of comedy, and adventure to take you away from all the real world issues. I don't know if that makes total sense, but it's the way I feel.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Escape to the Movies? 16 Mar 2006 17:11 #20624

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
Take2 is right and that is why I would go too -- and why I haven't been to a showhouse since the movie "Majestic" some years ago (no clasic, but a fine respit from the dismall). The dreck that filled our screens before and after is just as he describes; there is so little that is uplifting, that it is little wonder that a documentary: "March Of The Penguins" was greeted with loud Hoorays, very good box office, and an academy award. Sad to say, at the same awards ceremony the Best Picture oscar went to another wallow in social strife, with the reviewers stumbling over each other to laud its "Relevance", its "Integrity", and its supposed "Honesty." How difficult is it to be 'honest' to evil? Its examples are everywhere. And this is hardly the first film where the cast had integrity to its message, whatever that is. Yes, such films ARE 'Relevant' to today if by that one means the immoral megalopolises that dim the days of countless sad souls. Do we not know of this and hence go to see all about it in gory detail at the movies? Of course we don't need to see such filthy mirrors reflecting our filthy society. Only an ignoramous could fail to see our day and age for the nadir of man that it is. We don't need movies to show us this.

So why do the conglomerates that now own the studios keep on bringing out this offal? Because they are the same as the majority of the audience: without goodness, without kindness, gorged with sex, and only a trifle more greedy and materialistic. From this reality it is little wonder that they and their fellowman scriptwriters are prone to depict our 'reality' ad nauseum.

In a society devoted in greatest measure to the debased and selfish, it is little wonder that the light-hearted fantasies of years ago seem foreign and 'not relevant' for they do not reflect this day and age. Must all films reflect this abyssal? No, but then where would we find the writers of such as the "Sound Of Music" today, the last of the good natured musicals? We wouldn't, for they disappeared along with the more innocent and noble days which gave birth to such men. Now we are doomed to special effects technicians without a song in their hearts but only an endless throbing in their genitals. The Rock'n'Roll generation knows only endless sex , endless violence, and the total selfishness in paramount greed. And we should get good, sweet films from such as these?? Cling to your pre-World War II film libraries for they bring us closer to the desireable world that God will yet return to us than to the ugliness of today. But do not put your trust in today's filmmakers, for they will never emerge in force from the cesspools they so enjoy and down into which they seek to drag us -- to their profit and our loss, both morally and financially.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Escape to the Movies? 17 Mar 2006 01:40 #20625

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
I'd say if you haven't been to any movies in years, then how would you know if any of the ones you passed up were any good or not? If you don't like escaping to the movies, then maybe you shouldn't be in the exhibition business. How can we expect to bring up our numbers, if we don't honestly promote what we have to offer? I think we have to accept some of the blame for low attendance on ourselves.

There are good movies out there and we should watch, book and promote them; preferably in that order.

Re: Escape to the Movies? 17 Mar 2006 09:48 #20626

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't have to eat garbage to know it by its smell. When I see promos and reviews for the tripe being foisted upon us, I am forewarned.

My lament was for the disintegration of our society as a whole, and the sad fact that the film industry eagerly reflects that ever woresening decay. This was not really a criticism of exhibitors, since they must show what Hollywood produces else go out of business. Still, were I an exhibitor, I would have to seriously reconsider my staying in an industry over which I have no real control and which forces me to help in the demoralization of our society with what it purveys upon MY screen. For those who do not recognize morality as described in the Bible, my words here will only be an irritation, just as Satan is irritated --even outraged-- by goodness or righteousness; but for those who still yearn for those qualities, take heart. The only true God will soon forceably intervene in man's affairs and restore this earth to a paradise state where there will be no immorality or violence. If you wish to learn more, send me a private E-mail by clicking my Profile icon above.
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Escape to the Movies? 17 Mar 2006 10:14 #20627

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
I forgot that my current E-mail is not correct on my profile page because there is no way to up-date it there, even though the Profile Link says that it is the user's (our) responsibility to do so; so here is my current address: jimor2 at yahoo.com Of course, you will have to type it the usual way using the @ sign. I type it out to avoid the computer robots which crawl the web each night searching for addresses to which to send spam.

Re: Escape to the Movies? 17 Mar 2006 20:23 #20628

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
What the? I thought we were talking about the movies and why we go or not? How did we get sidetracked into bible thumping?

Anyways, back to take2's point I have to say that the comedies and family movies do well, but my customers don't respond to fantasy or sci-fi to a high degree (Harry Potter and Narnia being the exception here). We just played Glory Road and it did strong business. For my customers I would have to say that they are looking for something to do with their families and they want to laugh and have a good time. The escapisim part just doesn't seem to do it for them for some reason.

How about others?
"What a crazy business"

Re: Escape to the Movies? 17 Mar 2006 23:13 #20629

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I agree with leeler.

For us it's the families who fill our theatres. They just want to go out and have a fun enjoyable time with the family. We just came off with 8 Below. And families flocked to it. And so far it is our highest attended movie of the year. I can't wait for Ice Age 2. They will be flocking back. Nothing thrills me more than a housefull of families leaving the theatre. All talking and laughing and smiling with each other over the movie I just presented to them. And if it's a comedy and not just families, so much the better.

Personally I don't go for any specific movie genre. If it sucks me into it's world for 2 hours give or take. It has done it's job and I am a happy movie goer.

Re: Escape to the Movies? 17 Mar 2006 23:27 #20630

• puzzlegut
  • Platinum Boarder
We also tend to do the best with comedies and family pictures. Sci-fi/fantasy doesn't go over well for us either, with the exception of the Harry Potter/ Narnia type of movies. That was one of the reasons we are not showing "V for Vendetta", but what really tipped the scales against it for us was the R rating. Warner's was really pushing us to show it for them (they were even willing to give us a 2 week deal instead of the usual 4 week deal they normally want), and had it not been rated R, we probably would have shown it. We try to stay away from R's as much as possible, and our customers have noticed. We have been told several times how much they appreciate us trying to keep the theater a family kind of place.

Re: Escape to the Movies? 18 Mar 2006 11:12 #20631

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
The only R's that ever seem to do good business for us are the comedies. Like last years Wedding Crashers and 40 year Old Virgin.

Re: Escape to the Movies? 18 Mar 2006 11:24 #20632

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
We have had very little luck with R rated ones. Cold Mountain was the only one worth it for us to have had. We're going to give Inside Man a try, though. Never say never!
"What a crazy business"
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction