Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Sidewalk Hard For Me To Believe!!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hard For Me To Believe!!

Hard For Me To Believe!! 18 Aug 2003 09:20 #20219

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
Freddy V.S. Jason out does Open Range!!! What is wrong with this society of ours. How sick is it to keep running and veiwing these two guys? I say but the steel claws and hockey mask away for good!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hard For Me To Believe!! 18 Aug 2003 15:34 #20220

• jimor
  • Platinum Boarder
How very right you are, Poppajoe!
Jim R. (new E-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) member: www.HistoricTheatres.org

Re: Hard For Me To Believe!! 19 Aug 2003 06:54 #20221

• DJ Denis
  • Senior Boarder
Then again, it is summer. Most movies during this season are aimed squarely at teenagers or families. The soundtrack to FREDDY VS. JASON features most of the nu-metal and rap-rock sounds that the kids today love. With MTV pushing the film and this chance to see two screen baddies fight each other, it was really no surprise that this film would emerge victorious. After all, if OPEN RANGE is that good, it is probably better suited to a December release.
THE LAURIE JONES BAND
with special guest AMY FOX
and opening act IAN PARKER
in a benefit concert
Saturday, May 11th at 7:30 PM
Union Street Brick Church (126 Union Street, Bangor)

All proceeds benefit Community Radio WERU-FM

Re: Hard For Me To Believe!! 19 Aug 2003 11:12 #20222

• BurneyFalls
  • Platinum Boarder
One of my customers is a huge Kevin Costner fan. She came in the other night and said she saw OPEN RANGE and didn't like it. To those of you who have it or have seen it, is it good?

Re: Hard For Me To Believe!! 19 Aug 2003 13:37 #20223

• Alysa
  • Senior Boarder
This is my personal opinion - As a Kevin fan, a lover of western films, and 10th in line to see “Open Range” opening day in Los Angeles…

I loved Kevin's “Dances With Wolves” - however I was somewhat disappointed in “Open Range”. The one thing I must say I enjoyed was the cinematography - the mountain vistas and wide-open scenery – incredibly beautiful mountains and lush valleys used as backdrops in this film.

I know Kevin has a love for the old west but I simply could not buy his role as “Charley Waite” in this film. I know both rottentomatoes.com & Ebert/Roper gave good ratings but in my opinion this film is a “5” on a “1–to–10” scale.

To me, Kevin seemingly walked through his lines – at times I thought he might be reading from q-cards. It was though, as an actor, he wasn't able to transform his personality and became this old cowboy – maybe it was because he was juggling too many other balls - director, main actor, producer, and maybe even key-grip.

The film lacked continuity from scene-to-scene – doing a “fade to black” many times – almost as though one chapter in the script was complete and someone turned to the next chapter. It was intolerably “l-o-n-g” during the middle 60% of the film. The first and last 20-minutes were fast paced, interesting, and really pulled you in - but the minutes in between made you look at your watch.

Duvall was much better in getting into his role but his script bothered me. It had way too many cliché’ speeches and pontifications - if one is to believe the time is 1888 in an old one-horse town out in the middle of nowhere. Some of the script are words one might hear by bellowing politicians in the halls of Congress - not in a dirty old saloon in 1888 with guns drawn.

FWIW - I really believed Clint Eastwood was an old cowboy in “Unforgiven”, and Tom Selleck was an aging cowboy in “Monte Walsh” & “Crosscreek Trail”, and I can easily believed Sam Elliot was a real cowboy in “Quick & Dead” (not the Sharon Stone version) – but there is no way I could believe Kevin Costner became “Charley Waite” in “Open Range”. Sorry Kevin....

[This message has been edited by Alysa (edited August 19, 2003).]
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction