Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Sidewalk Should We Build More Theatres?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Should We Build More Theatres?

Should We Build More Theatres? 05 Mar 2003 11:01 #20027

• take2
  • Gold Boarder
WEll yes, this was the best year for theatre ticket sales in a long time. But remember what happened back around the turn of the millennium. All those theatres shutting down because of overexpansion. I think that that problem has leveled out somewhat. But have the big chains learned their lesson. What do you think?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Should We Build More Theatres? 05 Mar 2003 16:15 #20028

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
No, I don't think the corporate big boys have learned their lesson. They continue to expand, but only in the metro or urban areas and have completely forgotten about small town and rural America. They also seem to think they will steal customers by "out-teching" each other when what people really want is good films at good prices at the BO and concession stand and with good customer service. But that's OK. While they are working themselves into bankruptsy court once again I'll be working on developing the market they are ignoring.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: Should We Build More Theatres? 06 Mar 2003 01:02 #20029

• Ken Layton
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I agree, the big boys still haven't learned their lesson. Their old habits are starting up again with overbuilding just like before. Naturally all the costs of building those new buildings will be passed onto the customers thru much higher prices.

I still hear complaints from people who tell me they don't need all those new theaters and that the big boys should concentrate on taking care of the theaters they already have! Some places are only a couple of years old and are already filthy dumps!
I know several people who actively seek out and patronize independently owned theaters cause they are cheaper, cleaner, and better run than the big chain theaters.

Re: Should We Build More Theatres? 06 Mar 2003 01:18 #20030

• gdarvin
  • Junior Boarder
The big boys will never learn. Which is great for the independent operators...More turn-key theatres to pick up in the future

Re: Should We Build More Theatres? 06 Mar 2003 12:31 #20031

I don't think that they have learned their lesson.
I can remeber a few years ago that the goal for the company I worked for was to as someone said " Out Tech" the competion.
Where a lot of chains got into trouble was when some consultant said "hey you can make money passing out product samples."
What a waste of manpower. So when I was crawled on the carpet about why the theatre wasn't as clean as it could be I replied " we have been handing out product samples like we were mandated" (who's bright idea was it to hand out Maalox at the movies?)
So until the chains get their head out of their a** and start concentrating on what they are really in business for they are going to continue to have trouble.
I am with bob as they work towards banruptcy I will target the forgotten market.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction