Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Harry Potter

Harry Potter 26 Oct 2001 08:35 #19795

• Linda
  • Gold Boarder
We went to trade screening of Harry Potter yesterday. Did anyone else see it? What did you think? I'm not sure exactly what I did think. As an avid fan of the books, I thought that it followed the book better than any film based on a book that I have ever seen. And while I don't see how it could be any shorter than it is, it was a little slow and seemed kinda long which is not a good sign. I don't think that younger children will be able to sit through it quietly. The actors were all wonderful and fit the role perfectly. The special effects weren't that special though The Quidditch match was pretty cool. I was really planning and hopoing to open this on Nov. 16 and it would still be going strong on New Years Day and into January, but now I'm not so sure. Since I'm sure that they will have about 5000 prints out there and I'm sure the terms are going to be really tough, I think it might be like everything this summer and be a 2 weeker at best. Not sure how much repeat business it will get. I was really looking forward to this and have read the books several times so there were no surprises for me so that could be part of it.
The person who saw it with me has not read any of the books and the first thing it said after it was over was that it was too long and too slow. Anyway, I would really like other opinions on it telling me I'm totally wrong and it's going to be another Titanic or Home Alone. Thanks.
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Harry Potter 26 Oct 2001 11:44 #19796

Nothing personal. But Dear God I Hope Your Wrong!

Re: Harry Potter 26 Oct 2001 18:55 #19797

• Linda
  • Gold Boarder
Believe me I do too. I have lots of hopes pinned on it. That's why I was hoping someone had seen it.
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Harry Potter 30 Oct 2001 13:30 #19798

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It was a wonderful film for its intended audience..... those who are disciples of the books. The faithful will make it a huge first two weeks.

After that, the negatives start to intrude for the average moviegoer: (i) It is slow and deliberately paced in book fashion; (ii) even with as much exposition as the film provides, it will be confusing for those unfamiliar with the world and nomenclature of the novels; (iii) the subject matter of witchcraft and the black arts will turn some people off (My cashier who is from the Christian right will not let her children read the books or see the movie); (iv) The PG rating/marketing is all wrong (Not only are parts of the film too frightening for young children, it will mean that entire families will come with the young ones running up and down the aisles - as happened during the screening I attended- ruining the experience for those who really want to watch.

Linda I agree with your initial assessment. I see it ending up in the 190-200 Million range much like Pearl Harbor and like the summer films essentially done in 3 weeks.

Re: Harry Potter 30 Oct 2001 14:55 #19799

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 44
Was there ever an industry that was more hype and hot air?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction