Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Am I Alone Here

Am I Alone Here 30 Jul 2001 12:52 #19728

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't know if its just me, but are most of the action movies that are coming out of late sacrificing plot and story line for action and FXs? It seems so to me. I'm I just being over critical? What have you got to say on the subject?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Am I Alone Here 30 Jul 2001 13:57 #19729

Hasn't this been all along in action movies?
If you recall Mission Impossibe 1 was plotless. and MI2 was the "John Woo slo-mo-craneshot-crouching tiger hidden dragon matial arts impossible to beloeive special effects movie"
The action movie that actually have a plot these days are the action comedies. Rush Hour, True Lies etc.

Re: Am I Alone Here 30 Jul 2001 16:20 #19730

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
The Score? Usual Suspects? Croupier? It is a natural follow that it's fake action that sells. No one would want to see "real" action. The truth? You can't handle the truth! People want imaginary action.

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Am I Alone Here 31 Jul 2001 10:03 #19731

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't think that's always the case. A few examples;lets compare say "Raiders of the Lost Ark" with "Tomb Raider" or "Close Encounters" with "Mission to Mars" tell me there's no difference. I will beg to differ with you.

Re: Am I Alone Here 20 Aug 2001 09:02 #19732

• Filmmaker
  • Fresh Boarder
Pappajoe,

The movies you reference are from the late 70s, early 80s, and were written by talented writers (and directed by Spielberg). Action films with actual story. (Though I wouldn't call "Close Encounters" an action film.) Big generalization here: The "blockbuster" mentality which had its birth in the 70s, has really destroyed the studios' interest and ability to make good action movies that appeal to an age group beyond the teens & 20 somethings. That age group hasn't seen thousands of movies, so they don't "need" story and character to be entertained. They're entertained by "cool" visuals. And since this age group comprises one of the largest segments of the movie-going public, this is where the studios do their best in making money. They have no incentive to make action movies that have any intelligence going on. Plus, they don't want to lose these teens/20 somethings by being intelligent!

By the time many people hit their 30s, they have more of a need for story, but the studios don't care, since the older age groups don't go to the movies as much. When one looks at some of the better action films, usually (but not always), there is an auteur behind it...someone who is not always churning out plain popcorn for the masses but something with a bit more depth. "Usual Suspects" for instance, was not even done by one of the major studios, and the director came from the indie scene. But "Usual Suspects" also did not do more than about $23 million at the B. O.

If people in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, flocked to the movies the way teens/20 somethings did, and spent as much money, and caused some of the more intelligent movies to hit the magic $100 million box office mark, the studios *would* make more of these. As it is, it's just a numbers game for the studios.

As someone who works in the industry, all I have to do is look at who directed it and produced it, and I generally know whether it is just popcorn for the kids, or a meal for the adults, action picture or otherwise.

Jerome www.GodSexApplePie.com
"God, Sex & Apple Pie" -- In Stores Now
www.GodSexApplePie.com/in.html
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction