Banner
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Alternative Films

Alternative Films 13 Jul 2001 12:15 #19721

• poppajoe
  • Platinum Boarder
Being a mainstream theater owner I've often wondered about alternative modes of film and what the success of running them would be. Are any of the modes, Foreign, Experimental, Animation, Documentary that seem to be more popular then the others? Would it be best to run a little of both?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Alternative Films 13 Jul 2001 13:59 #19722

• Avalon
  • Platinum Boarder
I think that would depend on how close you are to the nearest alt. cinema. I am an alternative cinema and I show art, independant, and foreign films. Last year when the 1st run houses were low on product, they edged into my market. After a really bad year, I was less than ammused to share "Crouching Tiger" with the local multiplex. We depend on picking up a few hot titles a year to catch everything up. It really hurts when a 1st run house edges into my market.

With that said, if no one else is running that type of product in your area, you might find it'll work for you. But, be warned, it is a long road to cultivate the audience that will support such product. You can't go from "Dude, Where's My Car" to "Ameros Perros" and expect a huge draw. If you plan ahead and get the word out that on a specific date you'll have a film outside of your usual genre, you'll eventually build up a following. But, to try to plug in an art film into a booking hole won't work -- too quick of a transition for those looking for art product. If you did one a month on a specific week or did a late night or Sunday matinee show, I think you'd eventually find it worth your while.
Paul Turner
Avalon Cinema

Re: Alternative Films 15 Jul 2001 10:22 #19723

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 43
How do the distribs react to only a couple of nights showing? Doesn't the film trans cost chew you up?

Mike Hurley
www.bigscreenbiz.com
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction