Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Sidewalk Another Bad Sign Of The Times
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another Bad Sign Of The Times

Another Bad Sign Of The Times 19 Apr 2001 10:49 #19666

Here is yet another example of the hard times the big theater chains are having. The Loews Theater Chain announced that starting from last February their ticket prices were going up $.50. So now the price has gone from $9.50 to $10.00. I wonder how many people are willing to pay that much to see a movie. If there are small theaters in the area I'm sure they will get their business. Just think; $10.00 plus snacks, yikes, that's a lot of green for movie.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Another Bad Sign Of The Times 19 Apr 2001 12:33 #19667

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
That $10.00 price that Loew's has announced is for their theatres in Manhattan, possibly all of New York City, but I don't think anywhere else as of this time. That price is for all shows all day. There are no discount matiness in Manhattan. Ten bucks at 10 am... WOW! As to smaller theatres getting their business... there aren't any that I know of. There was a discount $4.00 house, but I believe that has recently closed. Maybe some one else can confirm that.

I was thinking that maybe it's time for a reversal of marketing strategy. For decades, it has been a big deal to take a bus trip into New York to go to the theatre for the Wednesday matinee. Maybe I can start a deal with a few bus companies in New York to bring groups out from New York to my theatre for our Wednesday matinee for a movie. We are only 90 minutes from Broadway. I can make arrangements with a local restaurant for their lunch, and they can also tour our local Cement museum as well. Northampton was at one time the cement capitol of the world, and many of New Yorks most famous attractions came from here via the cement that was manufactured at our local plants. Rockafeller Center, The Empire State Building, one of the tunnels into NY, and most of the tramsit system, were all built of Universal Atlas cement from Northampton, Pa. They might get a kick out of seeing a movie for only $1.50 (our matinee price)with pipe organ preshow music as well(a little bit of Radio City right here in little old Northampton). And a really good lunch will cost them about 50% of what they would pay in NY, and the museum is free. Even with the bus expense, it wouldn't cost them that much more for the entire day outing then just the movie in Manhattan.

I'm dialing the bus companies now!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction