Home Forums Movie Theaters The Sidewalk Better Than They Had To Be
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Better Than They Had To Be

Better Than They Had To Be 13 Apr 2000 05:10 #19401

• dErector
  • Fresh Boarder
I want to start a topic on films that are "better than they had to be" -- basically these aren't "indie" or "blockbuster" films, necessarily. These are genre films, churned out in the great Hollywood sweatshop to fill the screens each summer and holiday, that turn out to be clever, funny, and/or profound, rising above the crowd in some small/huge way.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Better Than They Had To Be 13 Apr 2000 05:23 #19402

• dErector
  • Fresh Boarder
One of my favorite films that was "BTIHTB" is "Starship Troopers" which had could had been hyped as a blockbuster, but instead was floated out there, early in the year (if I remember correctly) to be discovered. Despite the "space battle" genre, Verhoeven's brilliantly depicts an eerie fascist society battling scary insects that are more "human" than the pretty humans. This was way more than the special effects, though the effects (the bugs) were SO GOOD. This is right in line with the first Verhoeven movie I saw, "RoboCop", which probably also deserves a BTIHTB award.

Re: Better Than They Had To Be 13 Apr 2000 09:01 #19403

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
I eagerly awaited Starship Troopers, both personally and theatrically, and was bitterly disapointed. Yes there were great images but the head ripping/gut spillin'/blood gushin' just made sure that it would not be seen and that it was worse than it had to be.

Iron Giant. Now that was a picture that was so much better than it ever was treated and it sank into video. Meanwhile all the whiners complain "They don't nake good movies anymore!" Ag geez!
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Better Than They Had To Be 13 Apr 2000 10:17 #19404

• dr
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
I agree with Mike, I saw "Starship Troopers" and was impressed very much with FXs. But about half-way through the movies I found myself asking myself if they really needed all this blood fest. It could have been just as good with half the gore. But I guess that there is a faction out there who wants to see that kind of thing.

Re: Better Than They Had To Be 18 Apr 2000 20:42 #19405

• dErector
  • Fresh Boarder
The title of this topic isn't "The socio-political ramafications of "Starship Troopers" -- tell me about a movie you saw that was "better than it had to be."

(BTW--I was just as disappointed with IRON GIANT as you were with STARSHIP TROOPERS)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction