Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Sidewalk Mission to Mars v.s. The Critics
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mission to Mars v.s. The Critics

Mission to Mars v.s. The Critics 17 Mar 2000 09:41 #19389

I just want to go on record as saying that I don't think its always true what the critics have to say about movies. A case in point is Mission to Mars. Sure, the movie does have shades of the Space Oddessy movie incorporated in it. But if you look hard enough at every movie you almost always can see other movie ideas in them. The acting could have been better but it wasn't bad. I think the problem with the critics is that they see too many movies and become insensitive to alot of things.
To read or hear a critic tell me not to waste my time on particular movie really erks me. Who are they to dictate?
I liked Mission to Mars and I know alot of other people did also. So,do we really need the critics any way?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Mission to Mars v.s. The Critics 17 Mar 2000 19:12 #19390

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
The mark of some of the best movies is when 2 different people come out and in 30 seconds you've been old that it was the worst and best movie they've ever seen. I've seen that over and over. Critics hated Patch Adams, Something About Mary, and lots more. It's only a guide.
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Mission to Mars v.s. The Critics 20 Mar 2000 08:44 #19391

Thanks for the reply. What you had to say did ease my mind somewhat. I guess I've just been taking them (critics) too seriously. Ya know, they just have this air about themselves. But from now on they will just be a guide that will not be taken as seriously as before.

Re: Mission to Mars v.s. The Critics 24 Mar 2000 18:28 #19392

• dErector
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm a big Gary Sinese fan, and I can't dismiss a Brian DePalma film no matter what the expected outcome (SNAKE EYES was worth it just for the first shot). So don't feel bad about going to see something the critics didn't like. Sometimes I think the critics (who all see the movies they review under very contrived circumstances, sitting among only other critics during and advanced showing, absent a real crowd) don't have a clue, and are so afraid of "liking" something that everyone else pans. It's so easy to pick something like bits from a crab shell, rather than evaluate flavor, aroma, and color.

[This message has been edited by dErector (edited March 24, 2000).]

Re: Mission to Mars v.s. The Critics 24 Mar 2000 21:07 #19393

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 41
On the other hand since we're dissing reviewers here I'd say; n0-way dude. Reviewers do get it right more often than not. I like the averaging of a bunch of directors so you even out the good day/bad day bumps. And then there's movies that as a group the crits don't get: Something About Mary was totally trashed. I like reviews but I read a lot of them.... 3-5 per film. By the end of it I can tell an awful lot about the movie. Why should you believe in just one character's opinion anyway?
Michael Hurley
Impresario
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction