Home Forums Movie Theaters The Sidewalk Digital Digital Digital
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Digital Digital Digital

Digital Digital Digital 28 Feb 2000 16:59 #19384

• RanceE
  • Fresh Boarder
Like to get everyone's thoughts and opinions on digital cinema? What kind of far-reaching changes can we expect? Anyone on the production end of things care to comment?
General Manager,
Lyric Theatre
Founder,
Edwards Theater Consulting
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Digital Digital Digital 07 Mar 2000 17:12 #19385

• JP
  • Fresh Boarder
I don't think digital will ever replace film but I do think it will help a lot of indepent film makers like myself. For example, I'm making a movie this summer that I plan to shoot on digital because it's cheaper. I wrote the script for a digital camera. My hope that that if the movie were shot on film people would be very confused.
JP

Re: Digital Digital Digital 07 Mar 2000 22:04 #19386

• Stephen
  • Fresh Boarder
My views on digital cinema is basicly the same as most projectionist's.I think it will take a few more years before it really takes hold and takes over from film.In another ten years we will see digital projection being installed in all new multiplex cinemas as the cost will have dropped quite significantly and they should have what type of system and how the movies will be distributed sorted out,also have trained techs to sort out any hassels that will occurr and they will.There is a new multi screen theatre about to be built here which will have the projection room set up so DLP can be installed when a format is decided upon.If the big companies didnt stop useing qualified and well trained projection staff perhaps digital projection may have been a long way off, who knows.Film can still provide excellent sharp images and digital sound and if shown by qualified projection staff on well maintained projection equipment it can remain undamaged.
Long live film.
Stephen.

Re: Digital Digital Digital 07 Mar 2000 22:25 #19387

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The key word that people keep omitting is the word VIDEO. Digital VIDEO projection as in big screen television.

Re: Digital Digital Digital 10 Mar 2000 01:14 #19388

• jrjrfm
  • Fresh Boarder
Ken, I'm afraid that the digital age is among
us! I was sitting at my workbench..rebuilding
a Simplex E-7 intermittent when it struck...
Am I looking at the end of an art?...in my lifetime!!! I have viewed several side by side screen demos, the digital image is good, but NOT perfect...YET! It will happen..once the film makers accept the digital medium..
As for now, all three demos (in three different locations) still showed one simple flaw...sideweave!!! When I asked the moderator..the response was.."look, it's only as good as what we derived the image from..
a telecine machine" So, untill the digital
movie is ALL digital, I think I will have time to teach my Daughters how to rebuild intermittents! The other comment I have is that the image quality was 'sur-real' the picture was TOO clear? I think a lot of ambience was lost in that the demos I viewed
had no sharp shadow image, nor soft contrast..aside from the obvious colors not being as vivid as film..so..I think we will be riding this one out at least for a few more years, but yes, the end is coming...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction