Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Reopening theater
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Reopening theater

Re: Reopening theater 19 Jan 2004 09:54 #9410

• Blue sky
  • Fresh Boarder
You and I sound like were in the same boat. Can you tell me how you found your used equipment and how you got trained to use it. I also am on a very tight budget and don't mind used equipment as long as it works! Can afford to get ripped off. Any info will be helpful. thanks <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by leeler:
<B>Thanks Gordon. I needed some reassurance. I think I feel an ulcer coming on.....

Anyway, I think we're doing pretty good at this point. I have commitments from the contractors and the progress is coming along well.

I still have loads to do but I think it's coming together at this point. Installing the seats is one of the biggest jobs yet but I can't even begin that until the contractors are done in there which won't be for a few weeks yet. Meanwhile they're sitting in peices in a semi-truck about a block away along with about 500 extras. The high-school football team has volunteered to help unload them and we'll unload them, tag the best of the lot and put them all back this weekend only to be unloaded again when it's time to install.

The marquee is down now and getting refurbished. New neon, new chasers, everything. I should see that in a few weeks as well.

I have received my first of several shipments of projection equipment. We heaved the projector base up the stairs to the projection room (ugh, was that heavy) and got the equipment rack and automation unit. A few of the satellite speakers have come, too.

Anyway, that's the update for now. I'll keep everyone posted on updates. Thanks again for everyopne's input. This forum has been a lifesaver for me.

Lee</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Reopening theater 19 Jan 2004 11:17 #9411

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Blue Sky:

Email me pictures (small file size please) at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it of the projection booth as it is now, the auditoriums, and snack bar. That way I can tell you what you're going to need. The folks at American Cinema Equipment are honest & have good prices. I've dealt with them for several years and you won't get ripped off. They have several used equipment warehouses & offices in Portland, Oregon and Los Angeles, Calif.

Re: Reopening theater 19 Jan 2004 11:41 #9412

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 45
see the list of top things to do if a newbie or reopening a theatre: and do them. If you're going to run you're own business you need to be action-Jackson. Asking for help is fine, but nothing replaces due diligence and studying.

For example: if you befriended some lonely single screen operator and drove or flew to their town you'd get a tour and more info than you'd know what to do with. And it would beat the Hell out of all the posts you could post here or read here.

In the detective business there is an old saying when all else fails: "GO YAAKOD": get off your a-- and knock on doors.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Reopening theater 19 Jan 2004 14:42 #9413

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
the guy I used was Ted Boheman from Midwest Cinema Service in Des Moines. They did a fair and honest job and I didn't feel like I was getting ripped off. They did a fair job of training me but, I have to say, that it really takes doing it to be "trained". I have had 8 shows a week for 9 weeks now and I finally feel like I can handle the basic stuff. The major stuff still leads to panic attacks and wringing of my hands.... anyway, I try to stay as cool and collected as possible most of the time and haven't had anything too major go wrong yet. What I was not prepared for was the amount of work going into running this place by myself. I have volunteers helping for the rush right before the movie but I basically do everything else myself from running the projection equipment to janitorial duties to accounting, etc etc etc. And boy am I tired......

"What a crazy business"

Re: Reopening theater 20 Jan 2004 22:55 #9414

• mfdonofrio
  • Fresh Boarder
I am new to this site and wanted to say hello... Interested in buying or selling a movie theater? That's our specialty -- check out our website www.TheatersforSale.com or contact me directly with any questions.

Regards,

Michael F. D'Onofrio
TheatersforSale.com
Palm Beach, Florida
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Reopening theater 21 Nov 2004 18:09 #9415

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
well, today is our one year anniversary.

I am amazed at all that I have learned and all of the questions I still come up with.

Many of my assumptions have been dashed and many hopes realized. It has been one very fast year! The good news is that now I think I have a handle at least on the basics. That being said, however, I still have much to learn and uncover about my business. Some of the things I'm thinking about:

A). How effective is my advertising? Is my advertising budget being spent wisely?

B). How do I attract people from the outlying areas more effectively? How do I get them to give me a try? How do I attract people who have gotten out of the habit of going to movies? How do I know when they do show up?

C). Promotions???

Some of the things I've learned:

1). Don't book movies you want to see. Book movies you think will do well in your community. (This is harder to do than it seems).

2). Ask for advice. Don't think you have to go it alone. Ask people what they think.

3). There is DEFINITELY a seasonality to this business. Try to book movies accordingly. Try to promote heavy during these slow times.

4). Get a community calendar. Get a high school calendar. Book with these things in mind.

A BIG thank you to everyone on this website. I couldn't have gotten through this first year without you.

Lee Akin
Elkader Cinema www.elkadercinema.com
"What a crazy business"

Re: Reopening theater 22 Nov 2004 10:04 #9416

• Mudbrother
  • Senior Boarder
Congratulations Leeler!

I've enjoyed following the progress of the Elkader over the past year and feel as though I've learned a lot with you.

Here's to many more years to come!

Rance
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction