Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Brokeback Mountain
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Brokeback Mountain

Re: Brokeback Mountain 16 Jan 2006 17:08 #11945

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
Avalon,
I appreciate your respectful manner. I'm not sure where the Bill O'Reilly comment came from, I don't particularly like him and don't know where he stands on this issue.(He's too far to the left for my taste

The issue of playing this movie at my theatre is easy...I simply do not have the demand that other communities do. I have had one patron ask me about the movie and it was more out of curiosity over the Utah theatre deal than them wanting to see the movie.
I guess for me it gets down to letting the marketplace sort this out. Personally, I think its kind of nutty that everyone gets offended when hollywood makes cigerettes cool, but everyone jumps into their politically correct mood when it comes to accepting a lifestyle that kills homosexual men 20-30 years earlier than Heterosexual men. Average lifespan of the sexually active homosexual is 42 years. Google those numbers.

As for which community has a higher moral standard, I should have said: "to determine morals, the Bible is the standard mostly used".

It is thought provoking that on the on the day we celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., you would compare the bigotry he and thousands others experienced to the bigotry some show towards homosexuality. Am I a bigot because I detest the sin, as clearly stated in the Bible, which usually accompanies homosexuality?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Brokeback Mountain 16 Jan 2006 19:52 #11946

Hello Everybody!

Thank goodness; I can now cancel my doctor's appointment...I thought something must have been wrong with me as my ears have been burning quite badly this past week and a half while I have been away; I now know why!
I think you are just hear to cause trouble, Jeff. You only have one other post on this board other than your countless replies to my post. Wow! I am responsible from bringing a lurker out of the closet (please pardon the pun as it was not intended) and posting on the boards! At least only one of my posts is controversial while all the rest were intended to compare notes or start a friendly conversation. Can you say as much, Jeff? I am very flattered that you find me such a fascinating lady that you look me up on google, email me under a fraudulent email address and keep replying to my post even after I have long quit. I am sick and tired of you and your "bible" that you think everyone should follow. This is the USA...freedom of religion also means freedom FROM religion! My husband and brother fought for our freedom in WWII and for God's sake, I will exercise mine! It amazes me how so many think that living the way God created them is a sin. I thought that it was believed by Christian people that God makes and made no mistakes; obviously, you who have a problem with people of other races and sexualities (not sure if that is a word, if not I'm sorry) are quite hypocritical. I hope and pray you never do find me or my theater and darken my doorway. Straight to hell with you, Jeff!

To all those on here who believe I am here to push an agenda, consider this: from my own memory, I believe I have posted at least 4 topics and a couple replies that had nothing to do with politics, religion or homosexuality. Posts that were friendly and dealt with the exhibition industry

As to the others on here: if you do not want or welcome me here because of my beliefs and/or because you cannot locate me on the Internet, please tell me and I will gladly leave. What a nice welcome! I do, however, thank all of the people on here who have shown me kindness and consideration!

Respectfully Yours,

Maybelle Mehan

[This message has been edited by Izzytheatre22 (edited January 16, 2006).]

Re: Brokeback Mountain 16 Jan 2006 19:54 #11947

Jeff,

I just saw your other post. Yes, you are a biggot! Thanks for asking my opinion!

Yours Respectfully,

Maybelle Mehan

Re: Brokeback Mountain 16 Jan 2006 23:04 #11948

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Brokeback Mountain did pretty well with 4 Golden Globe wins.
Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Original Song.

Re: Brokeback Mountain 17 Jan 2006 01:40 #11949

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
Maybelle:
I'm glad to see your back. I believe your posts unintentionally reveal the basic issues in play. Your lack of understanding God and his Word does not make them irrelevent to this issue. It simply means you, for whatever reason, have decided they weren't important enough for you to study and understand. You cast the stone of biggotry at me but I would challenge you to look at your own writing and then decide who has personal issues to deal with.
Unfortunately, booking a movie theatre is not as simple as some of the above posts might imply. It is much too simplistic to say "I don't make em, I just show em". As long as the theatre owner allows a movie to show on his, her, or hisher screen they, in essence, are saying it is within the moral standards of their community. The people of Salt Lake City will ultimately determine whether or not the theatre who cancelled Brokeback made a wise decision or not. The market will rule and in Salt Lake City I would imagine it is premature to pronounce that theatre dead.

I realize that I have few posts on this site. I have been a regular reader for several years and the issue of exhibitions role in the decline of our culture is one of particular interest to me. I have 35 years in the industry and really enjoy what the internet has brought to the independent owner with sites like this one, Film-Tech, Cinematreasures, Cinematour and so on. I guess with the likes of Large and RoxyVaudeville, I was content reading their perspectives on exhibition.
My final question is: WHO IS IZZY?

Re: Brokeback Mountain 17 Jan 2006 02:13 #11950

Ok! Gosh Darn It! I broke down and had to post here.

My view on the picture is I take my hat off to Hollywood for bringing such an innovative and modern picture to society.

The movie industry is dear to my heart and treasured by my soul for many reasons, one of which is the fact that it has for about 90 years brought diversity and new things and experiences to everyone....folks in New York City to a small, population 900 farm town in Nebraska get to experience the same wonderful movies.

With that said, I credit Hollywood for much of the advances in our society's acceptance of different people, races, color, religion, sexual orientation and cultures. Did anyone here see "The Family Stone"? I did yesterday at the local Cinemark and besides the fact I found it a fun and heartwarming picture, really appreciated how they integrated a gay couple into the family.

As for Izzy and Orpheum, I really don't think much of either of you for how you have both behaved here. I must state as to clear my conscience, that not everything can be found on the internet and not everything here is accurate. I will ask my friend who is a park ranger in WI if she has heard of such a town as stated by Izzy. But, things don't look good for Izzy. I do not like being lied to and deceived and think deceitful people are low. I also think your politics and your demanding and aggressive ways of stating things on this board suck, Orpheum.
I might wonder if you both are not trolling this board to push your agendas. Although I would agree with Izzy's general mind set and politics,(I am a way lefty), we really should leave politics off our board. We must remember that everyone here has their own beliefs, morals, politics and Gods and you know what? That's ok! Not everyone believes in the Bible or God or Jesus. That's just dandy! There are at least two gay/lesbian individuals that use this board that I know for a fact, so lets all watch our tongues! Although I disagree with you, Orpheum, I respect your views and value you as an individual and hope you will please be considerate of people when you post your views.

Although I believe parts of the Bible are inspired by God, I often fear that many of the rules and teachings were inserted by man so I cannot use the Bible to accurately dictate my life. I must do what my morals dictate and what The Holy Spirit inside me inspires me to do.

I will post a short review of the film when I see it this weekend (wanted to see last but called into work) and will ignore this thread thereafter. I find it sad that everyone is wasting so much time here! This is not church nor is it a gay and lesbian fair; its a Theater Industry web site! There are other places on the Internet for such discussions. I have seen too many wonderful forums ruined by trolls and arguing; please take my advice and lets move on.

Tony
Tony H.
Colorado Film/Theater God

Re: Brokeback Mountain 17 Jan 2006 17:50 #11951

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder
Parktheatre:
It is remarkable how similar you are to Izzy.
I appreciate your wisdom and considering you are 16, will give it appropriate weight.

Re: Brokeback Mountain 17 Jan 2006 20:31 #11952

Not really sure if your comment to me, Orpheum was a jab, a compliment or nothing at all so I guess I'll just let it be. Please don't pay me special attention or kindness due to my age, however.

It was interesting after talking to several people including friends, co workers and patrons at the Rialto and either people really want to see it and are excited or they just don't give a damn about it.
I would not have expected it to go that way givin my region.

Tony
Tony H.

Re: Brokeback Mountain 17 Jan 2006 20:48 #11953

I talked to one of my girlfriends today who is a park ranger in WI and she said she has heard that "Israel's Rain" is an ice age formation in the land that locals have dubbed as such but not a township of any sort.

Guess this thread is just bringin 'em out in full bloom. I regret replying here at all.
Tony H.

Re: Brokeback Mountain 18 Jan 2006 00:01 #11954

• Orpheum
  • Senior Boarder

Re: Brokeback Mountain 18 Jan 2006 00:18 #11955

What about my two links? Do you have a question I can help you with? I'd Love to!

Is your Orpheum located in Hillsboro IL? A friend of mine visited such a place on a road trip she took last June and thought it was a nice place.
Tony H.

Re: Brokeback Mountain 18 Jan 2006 10:59 #11956

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
Friends: if you want to attack anyone on this site: go elsewhere. If you want to espoyuse your religious beliefs go elsewhere. This is a site for business dicussions. I am sure we do not agree on many issues but we should be able to agree on business issues. I do not debate my customers on their religion or social or political belief and it will not be tolerated here. Just as it would not and should not at any business organization. This forum subject is closed. If anyone attacks anyone personally again they will be barred. Thanks.

Michael Hurley
Impresario
Michael Hurley
Impresario
Time to create page: 0.318 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction