Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Permissions to play DVDs to public?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Permissions to play DVDs to public?

Re: Permissions to play DVDs to public? 30 May 2004 21:45 #8295

• mosquito
  • Fresh Boarder
jimor, thanks for the the excellent post! Yes, I have been posting hypotheticals and been playing the devil's advocate a bit here, but I was hoping to get a detailed response like yours...It seems like you either have personal experience with some of this or have a brother who's a copyright lawyer! ;-) After I do some more digging on this on my own, I will definitely seek out a copyright lawyer and see what they have to say about it.

rodeojack -- to your point, I would certainly need clear, concise language surrounding this issue in the rental contracts. That's exactly what I'm driving towards here. While I've come to realize that a license is most definitely needed, I still need to nail down the details around securing those licenses and how to put some positive marketing spin on it.

Hmmmmm....now that I think of it, maybe I should start a Musac for movies business -- how about "Movac"? :-)

Oh, and one more thing. Thanks for everyone's posts here. After thinking about this the last few days and reviewing a few items I've found, I've come to realize that copyright violations are all over the place! You're right Mike, they should do a big bust every now and then...Even here in Minnesota.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Permissions to play DVDs to public? 31 May 2004 15:03 #8296

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
"Hmmmmm....now that I think of it, maybe I should start a Musac for movies business -- how about "Movac"?"

From what I hear from people who use (and almost universally hate) "Movietunes", you might be able to create a market there!

Re: Permissions to play DVDs to public? 01 Jun 2004 21:33 #8297

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Has anyone actually contacted a studio and asked about a license for a DVD? What kind of terms? Is it expensive? I'm not opposed to them getting a cut. I just don't want to stuff money down a hole. This COULD be a lucrative opportunity but if the studios get greedy about it then it isn't worth it.
"What a crazy business"

Re: Permissions to play DVDs to public? 01 Jun 2004 23:02 #8298

• coryray
  • Fresh Boarder
Yep, sure have. And that's both theatrically and non-theatrically. And mixed in with film for several film festivals. In a real theatre too.

DVD's get booked the same way as film. We're a rep/revival house and go for the regular distribs for all theatrical and through Swank or Criterion for the non-theatricals.

Frankly, I've found the terms through some of the non-theatrical distribs to be quite steep, for example, advances of $400 to $500 vs. 50% as compared to theatrical at $250 tops vs. 35%. And with some theatrical distribs, it's not difficult to bring in a film or DVD for as little as $150 flat. But remember, these are generally single screenings or for a single day.

Some distribs, notably WB, currently refuse to grant exhibition rights for a DVD screening, but that's changing too.

Truth is, the only reason I book DVD's is that that is the ONLY way the film is available. And it's demanded by a festival producer.

No matter what, screening a DVD is still nothing but showing a TV image enlarged to the 'nth' degree.

Outdoor screenings though are perceived to be entirely different. They've fallen into acceptance, if only because of the entire experience. To my thinking, if an archive print is available, the outdoor screening should be via film. But so many of the older films are questionable at best, that I can see why one would screen by DVD.
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction