Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fund Raising Ideas

Fund Raising Ideas 07 Jun 2014 12:12 #41031

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
rufusjack wrote:
revrobor wrote:
And I'm certainly not the only sub-run theatre in the country.

You are not even sub-run at this point. You should have access to film right now with the summer season going on right now. Are you even thinking about running current releases right now?

You posted the following of Facebook: "Due to lack of customers the Gentry can now not afford to run current films. If you have the newest Blu ray or a classic set of dvds you want to watch here: Start a film club and help us raise the money to stay here for another Holiday Season. We will show your disk to you on our screen.
"

So a guarantee on a movie out on home video is $250 you say. Unless something has changed that was the min. for movies 6-8 weeks old. Has the min. on 8 week old product gone up in the last 2 years?

You also posted on Facebook "We will be having our first midnight show Friday June 27th with "NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD" (THE ORIGINAL FROM 1968). Mark that date on your calendars all you horror lovers." Is that public domain too?

Jack: I did not post the "Due to...." post. My son did and I've got to stop him from doing that. Yes, the 1968 "Night of the Living Dead" is PD.

Bob
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fund Raising Ideas 07 Jun 2014 12:24 #41033

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
You can remove the post.

Fund Raising Ideas 07 Jun 2014 13:48 #41034

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
You need to be careful about telling people they can just bring in DVDs and you'll play them. YOU HAVE TO PAY A RENTAL on them. On your facebook, you're listing out DVD release dates, as if people can buy the DVD on that date and bring it in and you'll play it for everyone. That's not legal and it's shady!

We play films on DVD for a local group of usually 40 people that come in once a month. We get permission from the studio and pay a rental. Could we get away with not paying the rental? Probably, but I'm not risking it AND it's not the way I do business.

Fund Raising Ideas 07 Jun 2014 14:17 #41035

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
Did Mr. Frank Rash also tell you that such a business practice was OK?

Fund Raising Ideas 07 Jun 2014 20:52 #41037

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Andrew Thomas wrote:
Did Mr. Frank Rash also tell you that such a business practice was OK?

We have not yet implemented that aspect of our business.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Fund Raising Ideas 09 Jun 2014 09:16 #41050

• periwinkle
  • Fresh Boarder
rufusjack wrote:
So a guarantee on a movie out on home video is $250 you say. Unless something has changed that was the min. for movies 6-8 weeks old. Has the min. on 8 week old product gone up in the last 2 years?

Two weeks ago we had to pay out a guarantee of $500 for a movie that came out in March.
Periwinkle

Fund Raising Ideas 22 Jun 2014 18:26 #41084

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
So Bob how has McLintock done for you? I believe you said you lost money on American Graffiti and Chitty.

How many people do you need to buy tickets each week to stay open?

It was asked by someone if you have asked your booker if you can allow people to play movies in the theater without paying film rental. Your management team has been really pushing this on Facebook so has your booker said it is okay to do so?

I hope someday you put your experience with the Gentry in a detailed report for others to use during their due diligence similar to what Leeler did when he re-opened the Elkader Cinema. Maybe that is your calling from God; to help others in their due diligence based on your experience.

Fund Raising Ideas 22 Jun 2014 18:46 #41085

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
A guarantee or an advance . I have not paid or anyone I have booked ever paid more than 250 for 1st run .
The only 3 reasons you pay a high guarantee is ..
1. Poor Booker
2. You don't pay on time
3 . An old film .

Fund Raising Ideas 23 Jun 2014 09:53 #41086

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
slapintheface wrote:
A guarantee or an advance . I have not paid or anyone I have booked ever paid more than 250 for 1st run .
The only 3 reasons you pay a high guarantee is ..
1. Poor Booker
2. You don't pay on time
3 . An old film .

4. You are new ;)

But even as we approach the 6 month mark of being open, we are seeing most of our advances drop to $500 or less (some like Fox don't ask for advances at all). I've only ever had one studio ask for a guarantee above the minimum $250, and that was Disney on Frozen, one of the first movies we booked when we opened.

Fund Raising Ideas 23 Jun 2014 10:17 #41087

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
Well, we pay on time and have a great booker but we have had to deal with a few guarantees due to the VPF. Not advances. It has been on borderline films that won't do a whole lot of business here. We are a tiny theater in a rural market running first run as much as possible, so I get it. We aren't a high-grossing theater. Regardless, the guarantee has always been lower than what we owed anyway, so it's basically moot.

I didn't realize how big the VPFs are, and I can understand why a studio would want to be sure it is, at least, covered. When we signed up with Cinedigm, they gave us numbers to use for modeling purposes while we went through the financing process. Our quarterly VPF is about twice as much as what we had calculated.

Fund Raising Ideas 23 Jun 2014 10:52 #41088

• Andrew Thomas
  • Gold Boarder
Our VPF is really low, so low it really is of no consequence in booking. From what I've seen, the theaters getting $750-$1250 for a movie on the break are the ones hurting when it comes to booking.

Fund Raising Ideas 23 Jun 2014 12:43 #41089

• BusyBee
  • Gold Boarder
That must be us. :) I'm so thankful for it, though, that I'm totally okay with a few booking hiccups. The business I'm running today is so much smoother and less stressful than the business I was running 3 years ago. I am very happy with what I have going on now.

Fund Raising Ideas 23 Jun 2014 23:29 #41090

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
We made money on "McLintock" Jack but only because it's PD and I didn't have to pay rent on it. Tomorrow we start "Charade" and Saturday we'll add "At War With The Army" (Martin & Lewis) to it. I'll keep you informed.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Fund Raising Ideas 29 Jun 2014 08:59 #41102

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
Bob,

I am having a hard time seeing how these film clubs you are promoting are going to work. How are they going to be profitable and get you where you need to be. Please explain how these will get you the cash flow you need.

From one of your Facebook pages:

Any SCARY movie lovers want to start a "Zombie" Club call NOW!!! 918-473-0361 From "Night of the living dead" to "World War Z" 12 films 12 weeks only $50!!!!

FILM CLUBS STARTING SOON!!!
The Gentry Cinema is looking for film club presidents.
The GentryCinemaFilmClubs is a Film appreciation program that allows the community to come together for the love of films. EVERY week between now and Thanksgiving (16+ weeks) YOUR film club will be given access to the theater to meet, discuss, and enjoy films of a specific genera.

Monday: Musicals
(e.g.) Mary Poppins (1964) Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) Grease (1978) Annie (2014) Frozen (2013) Muppets Most Wanted (2014)

Tuesday: Classics
(e.g.) GRAPES OF WRATH 1940, CITIZEN KANE 1941, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE 1946, MIRACLE ON 34th STREET 1947, ROMAN HOLIDAY 1953, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 1962, BONNIE AND CLYDE 1967, ROCKY 1976

Wednesday: Westerns
(e.g.) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966), Unforgiven (1992) True Grit (2010) Blazing Saddles (1974) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)

Thursday: Thrillers
(e.g.) Rear Window (1954), Psycho (1960), Night of the Living Dead (1968), Jaws (1975), The Birds (1963), The Exorcist (1973), Halloween (1978), Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), The Evil Dead (1983), American Psycho (2000), Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Friday: Sci-Fan
(e.g.) Alien (1979), Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977), Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Time Bandits (1981), Ghostbusters (1984) E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Star Trek V - The Final Frontier (1989), Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991), The Hobbit (1978) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) … The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies (2014)

Fund Raising Ideas 29 Jun 2014 13:14 #41103

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Jack:

These are private film clubs, closed to the public and in addition to regular shows, that my son is working on. Nothing has developed yet.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction