Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 07:41 #37541

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
The numbers are not good on this for most.
Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011 04:36 by rufusjack.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 15:53 #37542

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I looked at every post not one said it would be HUGE-- could be big at the correct locations is what I saw.

And to say the pic would only do biz a multiplex is completely wrong. If this film does biz it will be in mom and pop houses that do promotions with it.

I think you know the drive-in biz -but not so much on the brick and mortar cinemas.
Last Edit: 05 Dec 2011 15:56 by slapintheface.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 17:20 #37544

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
jacker5 wrote:
Well whoever booked this is smart and made a wise decision. This is big its playing everywhere and all the nostalgic buffs will come out. .....It should be billed as the holiday event of 2011.
jacker5 wrote:
No one is forcing anyone to go! Will see what the numbers are then you can stand by your angry remarks!

Hmmmmmmm........
Last Edit: 05 Dec 2011 17:22 by rufusjack.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 17:30 #37545

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
[quote="slapintheface" post=37542 And to say the pic would only do biz a multiplex is completely wrong. If this film does biz it will be in mom and pop houses that do promotions with it.

I think you know the drive-in biz -but not so much on the brick and mortar cinemas.[/quote]

Slap,
For a small theater with limtied screens, it is tough to drop mainstream shows for this. A larger theater with greater flexibility can do so. It is clear as of right now only one theater did well with this. Care to share who that was? I know your old Tearrace Theater did 5 people @ $10 a head.

BTW, wrong ...jack. I know nothing about the drive-in business or art business. 2 things you rarely see me comment on. I do feel I have a very good feel for the management of mainstream theaters large and small. I try to use the facts that are available to us through the available resources to us like in this example.

I am sure if this would have done opposite, you would have been beating your chest today. Deservedly so.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 21:24 #37549

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Once again your numbers are not even close - I never talk about individual theater numbers or terms on these type of sites.Very tacky .....

I just dont understand how you have so much time on your hands to waste...

LOL --

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 05 Dec 2011 21:52 #37550

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Which numbers are incorrect? The 5 people at $10 that a person working at the Terrace Theater told me over the phone?

Like I have said before. I have gained a tremendous amount from these types of forums. So I feel obligated to add what I can. I will not hold hands and sing happy cheery songs just to play nice. Sometimes the truth hurts. If I can help one person from loosing their life's savings, then I can sleep very well at night.

Slap, you have had so many occasions to give facts but you always run and hide.

BTW speaking of time to waste..I thought bookers were extremely busy on a Monday? How come you have so much time to waste?
Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011 04:35 by rufusjack.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 06 Dec 2011 01:08 #37551

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
GOOD GOD MAKE IT STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!
You win , your the best .....................

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 12 Dec 2011 05:31 #37610

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Today I finished my 2 day engagement of “Santa’s Holiday Film Festival” featuring Santa Claus Conquers the Martians along with several retro Christmas cartoons, skits and various theatre greetings. The question of course is: was it worthwhile?, was it successful? Did we pack the place… No. Did we make a great deal of money… No. But, was it successful… Yes it was.

To answer the 2nd question one must define what equals success. Most business people would say that if it made money, it was successful. If it didn’t, it was not. That being the case, yes, it was a success. I made money.

However, I have never been one to gage the success of theatrical programming based only on financial results. Did the program make the patrons feel like they got their monies worth? Did they have a good time? The people that came to my 2 showings had a great time. They loved it. Both days the crowd lingered in the lobby after the show talking to each other about it, and thanking me for bringing it to the theatre. Almost everyone that came knew what they were going to see. Many said that they saw the feature many times on TV, but wanted to see it on the big screen. Others wanted their children to experience what it was like to go to the movies when they were young. One lady told me today the preshow alone was worth twice the price of admission. Half the audience was older folks without children. We even got some teen boys that made be rather nervous, but they loved it, and wanted to know if they could buy the poster.

Now I’m sure many of you are wondering just how well did we do? We didn’t break any records, that’s for sure. We had 94 people for the Saturday matinee and 92 people for the Sunday matinee. At a $3.00 ticket price we grossed $558 for the 2 showings. You all know that most of the cost of running a theatre are fixed expenses. Only utilities, payroll and advertising came into play for these extra shows. The total extra cost of running these two showings was about $210. We paid 35% film rental which left us about $363. The concession stand took in $450.75 for those 2 shows. After expenses, that left us with $298 from the stand. Our BO share at $363 plus Conc. Share of $298 gave us $661. From that take out the expenses of $210, and the profit was $451. Not bad for 2 matinee showings, especially at this time of the year.

The most important point that must be made about this program is the fact that it must be sold to the proper audience. If you think that you can put out a few ads just advertising “Santa Claus Conquers the Martians” and people will come, you are mistaken. Very few will show up and the people that do come will be very disappointed. The preshow is every bit as important, if not more so, than the feature, and it must be sold to an older audience, not to kids, or young families.

It’s sad to say, but there aren’t many showman left in this business today. The reason that most of the grosses for this film were almost non-existent is because the exhibitors made no effort to promote the film in the proper way.

To answer the other question: was it worthwhile? Of course it was, and not just because it turned a $450 profit. The people that came had a great time and enjoyed themselves. They were laughing, applauding and singing along with the songs, having a great time. It made many friends for the theatre, and that is worth more than any profit garnered.
Last Edit: 12 Dec 2011 05:50 by RoxyVaudeville.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JPRM

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 12 Dec 2011 05:35 #37611

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
Roxy,

I am not surprised that you did well with this. But you are in the minority on this. The numbers are not good on this. I will just leave it that. Good job though.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 12 Dec 2011 09:08 #37612

• JPRM
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Roxy - Thanks for sharing all this. And you're on the money about showmanship. I'm always surprised - and not - at the extent to which presentation is overlooked by so many theater folks.

It's good to see someone going the extra yard to put on a great show. After all, the show doesn't begin and end with the picture itself.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 12 Dec 2011 11:02 #37613

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Amen Rick. And a Merry Christmas to you and yours my friend.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 13 Dec 2011 00:26 #37620

• Ozzy
Just thought that some of you might get a kick out of this comic strip that is drawn by one of our local artists here in Monterey, CA. It has a reference to Santa Conquers the Martians! HoHoHo! It ran in the Sunday paper this past weekend (12-11-11)

2011-12-11-fav-film.jpg

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 14 Dec 2011 21:38 #37630

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Way to go Roxy!

As you mention success is not ALWAYS measured in $ if most of the people walk out with a warm fuzzy feeling and you covered expenses the rest will come later when those people return!
Wish me luck, have it booked for this weekend...

I have Santa coming, we are doing the coloring contest, and are accepting toy donations for a local charity in exchange for reduced admission...

when all is done I will be thrilled to cover costs, the show is very fun, brings back loads of memorys. Makes me want to work on holiday greetings for next season! ;)
tony.

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 15 Dec 2011 17:03 #37633

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
The plaza theater in Atlanta played it last week and they had about 200 people ( I was there) they don't report to rentrak. People loved it .

Re: SANTA CONQUERS THE MARTIANS 20 Dec 2011 18:27 #37649

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
I am not surprised that very old theaters in large markets did well with this.

Good for a few and a tough sale for most.
Last Edit: 23 Dec 2011 04:32 by rufusjack.
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction