Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby 3D --THE END IS NEAR!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 3D --THE END IS NEAR!

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 25 May 2010 20:17 #34033

• Keweler
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Here is an article that Nato just sent me. Just one man's opinion but maybe a first sign that a change in thinking is happening.
I personally think that the only reason we get so many 3d movies is the upcharge.

Jay

New york Magazine
Are High 3D Prices to Blame for Shrek 4's Underwhelming Opening?
5/25/10 at 7:10 PM

When Shrek Forever After, the fourth installment of DreamWorks Animation's once-reliable source of jolly green, opened to a $70.8 million weekend, it stunned box-office watchers. While that may seem like a lot of money, it’s actually $35 million less than had been projected; the shock was big enough that the studio’s stock price lost almost a tenth of its value by Tuesday afternoon. Most pundits quickly blamed the waning appeal of the franchise, and Wall Street analysts deemed it especially disappointing because it underperformed despite the huge premiums that movie theaters are charging for 3D tickets. But that may be the wrong lesson to take: most likely, the fourth Shrek fell short precisely because of those huge 3D surcharges.

Exhibitors, not studios, set ticket prices, and with Avatar grossing nearly $750 million domestically, they look at the new wave of 3D as the biggest potential moneymaker since someone put sno on a cap. One studio source estimates that the cost of a 3D ticket has gone up a whopping 22% in the past year; in New York City, you could pay $20 to see Shrek 4. (And as of April, there were 4,011 3D theaters in the U.S., nearly twice the number from a year before.) People happily paid a surcharge to see Avatar because it was something they’d never seen before - but they’ve definitely seen the Shrek gang before. Three times, actually, and the last time was no fun at all; it was critically lambasted and likely dampened enthusiasm for another go-round.

Now that 3D has become more commonplace, moviegoers could be becoming more discriminating when it comes to these prices; they may no longer be so eager to pay up for a movie that’s not an event. “Less-than-perfect 3D coupled with exorbitant up-charges has me fearing consumer pushback,” says Chris Aronson, senior vice president for domestic distribution at Twentieth Century Fox.

In the teeth of a recession, movie attendance jumped 4.5% in 2009 and the industry saw a record haul of over $10 billion, because people decided that going to the movies was actually their cheapest entertainment option. But with the jacking-up of 3D prices, that may no longer be the case. And studios fear that a backlash may be starting, just in time for the release of all the pricey 3D blockbusters that they green-lit after Avatar.

“We cannot control what [theaters] charge,” said another exasperated top distribution executive at a major studio. “And we have to be very careful what we say about this: It’s illegal for us to even think about speaking to them about what they charge. But this is insanity.”

Shrek’s box office numbers suggest that consumers are already backing away from reflexively running to a pricey, “premium” viewing experience: According to distribution insiders, the sequel made only 62% of its grosses from 3D. By comparison, Disney’s Alice in Wonderland made 72% of its gross from 3D presentations, and even DreamWorks Animation’s own How to Train Your Dragon made 67% of its gross from 3D showings. (Clash of the Titans only reached 52%; bad reviews were part of it, but a bigger factor was that it opened a week after Dragon, and there were fewer 3D theaters available to open in.) And look at the even more expensive IMAX 3D option: only 6.7% of Shrek’s grosses came from those screenings, as compared to Alice and Dragon, which both landed between 8-9%.

Patrick Corcoran, Director of Media & Research for the North American Theater Owners association, says that the number of 3D films in release is too small to determine whether people are rebelling at the cost or the quality, but he does imply that in this case, it may have been the movie’s fault. “Look at the film and people’s interest in it,” he says. “Both Shrek 2 and Shrek 3 were not shown in 3D, and yet they still did better.”

Interestingly, while NATO tracks ticket prices, its membership has voted not to track 3D prices separately: the group only calculates an average price based on all theaters, regardless of how many dimensions are offered. (It’s a lot more palatable to release the stat that on average, ticket prices are only up 5.7% from last year, rather than admitting that 3D prices went up 22% year to year.)

The biggest irony in all this comes from DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg possibly being the first victim of 3D pricing; he’s the format’s main booster, and only last month was touting higher 3D ticket prices as the tonic for badly-sagging DVD sales. So much for happily ever after.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 26 May 2010 00:42 #34036

If 3D does sour and disapear, it is going to be due to the big boys charging an arm and a leg for it to the point that it becomes too expensive for the customers. With a majority of the screens controlled by the big exhibitors, it will affect overall 3D sales, causing the studios to no longer find the extra expense of making movies in 3D worth it.

Until then, if you are an independent near any big chain cinema, just keep YOUR 3D upcharge lower and advertise it non-stop. Offer the same experience at a lower price and you will pull 3D business away from the big guys and up your sales. Use their greed against them.

Hopefully, the large chains will start to understand this and get their surcharge prices under control so that 3D does not fade and can live up to its full potential.

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 26 May 2010 00:48 #34037

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
the end has started--- shrek --- toy story will be a weak also... ---end of 2011 -to 2012--3d --what

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 26 May 2010 10:45 #34044

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
About Entertainment, I agree. Our 3D at night is a $6 ticket and we've been doing great with Shrek. As long as the 3D keeps coming and is a good film then I'm not worried at all. But Jackass 3D? Spy Kids 4?
"What a crazy business"

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 07 Jul 2010 22:01 #34312

• muviebuf
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 08 Jul 2010 01:13 #34313

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
PATRONS ARE NOT STUPID---3D IS DEAD IN A YEAR AND A HALF!

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 08 Jul 2010 20:55 #34319

• theBigE
  • Expert Boarder
slapintheface wrote:
PATRONS ARE NOT STUPID---3D IS DEAD IN A YEAR AND A HALF!

Upcoming movies scheduled for 3D ...
-2010-
Despicable Me (July 9)
Cats & Dogs: The Revenge Of Kitty Galore (July 30)
Step Up 3D (Aug 7)
Piranha 3D (Aug 27)
Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D (Sep 10)
Legend Of The Guardians (Sep 24)
Jackass 3D (Oct 15)
Saw VII (Oct 22)
Megamind (Nov 5)
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Nov 19)
Tangled (Nov 24)
Chronicles Of Narnia: Voyage Of The Dawn Trader (Dec 9)
Yogi Bear (Dec 17)
Tron Legacy (Dec 17)
Gulliver’s Travels (Dec 30)
The Hole
Bait 3D
- 2011 -
Priest (Jan 14)
Green Lantern
Cabin In The Woods (Jan 14)
Drive Angry (Feb 11)
Sucker Punch (Mar 25)
Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom Of Doom (June 3)
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (July 15)
Smurfs 3D (July 29)
Underworld 4 (Sep 23)
Harold and Kumar Christmas
-also-
Flanimals
Cowboys And Aliens
Fury Road (Mad Max)
Spider-Man 4
Titanic in 3D

I'm thinking it'll be around for awhile....

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 08 Jul 2010 22:54 #34321

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
In addition, these according to Rentrak's 3d Calendar

Alot good stuff out there in the next 24 mos. alot of bad stuff too.

Alpha & Omega 9/17
My Soul To Take 10/29
Sanctum 2/4/11
Gnome & Juliet 2/11/11
Mars Needs Moms 3/11/11
Rio 4/8/11
Three Musketeers 4/15/11
Pirates of the Carr. 4 5/20/11
Cars 2 6/24/11
Spy Kids 4 8/19/11
Final Destination 5 8/26/11
Journey To the Center Earth 2 9/23/11
Fright Night 8/7/11
Contagion 10/21
Puss In Boots 11/4/11
Arthur Christmas 11/11
Immortals 11/11/11
Happy Feet 2 11/18/11
Invention of Higo 12/9/11
Chipmunks 3 12/16/11
Adv. of Tintin 12/23/11

plus in 2012 Dr. Suess The Lorax 3/2/12
Madagascar 3 5/18/12
Men In Black 3 5/25/12
Cont

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 08 Jul 2010 23:35 #34323

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
The novelty will wane----it always does!

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 09 Jul 2010 02:47 #34325

• rufusjack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
The grosses still look pretty good. Airbender $80 mill in one week. Titans really did over $160 million? And those are the two that people have disliked the most.

FWIW, watched Despicable Me in 3d last night with my sons and we really liked it. Too bad it will hampered a decent amount by the lack of 3d screens.

And I am making no predictions just hoping I get enough movies to run to satisfy my 3 years.

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 06 Aug 2010 00:11 #34427

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
Wednesday / August 4, 2010
Industry News
3-D boom going bust?
posted by CWalczak at 7:45am
HOLLYWOOD, CA - High ticket prices, poor quality films, and customer complaints about image quality are causing increasing numbers of cinema patrons to avoid much of the recent crop of 3-D films. This article at CNN.com takes a look at the apparent declining customer interest.

A river of schlocky films certainly doesn’t help boost attendance, but a river of overpriced, 3-D schlock may actually be steepening the decline. A July survey of more than 2,000 moviegoers by BTIG LLC, a broker-dealer firm, found increasing chafe at the high cost of 3-D films, which tend to carry around a $4 surcharge. That brings a $9 children’s ticket to see, say, Despicable Me, up to $13 in New York City — a despicable premium for a product that often provides little additional value to the movie-going experience, and may even detract from it.
Movie studios have never really risked broad consumer revolt against theatergoing because ticket prices have remained relatively low. Sure, theater attendance has suffered from a few slings and arrows, including the rise of the DVD and the increasing ease of online downloads. But the rollout of improved 3-D technology again gave the multiplex an edge, because the viewing experience could not be replicated at home.

24 comments (316 views)

Re:3D --THE END IS NEAR! 06 Aug 2010 22:02 #34431

• RoxyVaudeville
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
It is my opinion that there has been, and will continue to be, a backlash over the 3D upcharge.

As a 2nd run lower admission price ($3.00) theatre, that doesn't have 3D capibilities I have found that playing the 3D crop of movies in 2D has not hurt my business, in fact it may very well be helping my business. A good example IS Shrek 4. While it was disapointing to most it was the largest grossing Shrek picture of all of them for me. It has been my 2nd largest grossing picture so far this year, although I expect Toy Story 3 next week to beat it, and it will be 2D as well.

I now advertise: SHOWN IN 2D, NO GLASSES, NO HEADACHES and NO HIGH PRICES!

3D, if you don't get a headache from the picture, you will from the price!

My business is well ahead of last year, and not from any upcharges. In fact, my admissions (people through the door)is well ahead of last year too.

How can you argue with real figures?
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction