Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: product all dried up

Re:product all dried up 18 Oct 2009 13:27 #32616

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Bob,

The last time I tried a classic was over New Year's Eve/New Year's Day 2005/2006. I played 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' and ran it for two shows. I had 69 people combined. That wasn't enough to pay for the film rental; let alone the shipping charges and that's to say nothing of the hours of booth time I spent on a forty year old print.

As far as marketing it goes, I used what I could find. I bought a poster on Ebay but no trailers were available, of course. I put it in my website and on printed materials here at the theater and on the preshow for several weeks beforehand. All told, I think it was safe to say that people knew that it was coming but weren't interested in paying to see it on the big screen. And that's okay. It was an experiment and now I know.

I've also played 'Casablanca' and 'All I Want for Christmas' and gotten similar results. In my opinion it isn't worth the effort or expense. At least in my area....:(
"What a crazy business"
Last Edit: 18 Oct 2009 15:37 by leeler.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:product all dried up 18 Oct 2009 15:24 #32617

• rufusjack
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Bob,
I agree 100% with Leeler on this.

Re:product all dried up 19 Oct 2009 09:51 #32630

• rodeojack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We have a city-owned performing arts theatre in our town (Bob, you might remember the "Admiral Theatre" here). It started in the '40s as a single-screen with balcony, was triplexed by a Portland theatre company, then restored by a non-profit, which now runs it for the city.

Over the years there have been several efforts to bring art/indie/classics into this town, usually by people trying to fill a niche. None have been successful enough to make a business out of it. The performing arts theatre kept its booth and runs this stuff one or two evenings a month in a short series. It's not well enough attended that a commercial operator would be attracted, but they seem to think it's good enough to kick into the schedule now and then.

Re:product all dried up 19 Oct 2009 16:53 #32636

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Well guys I must confess I have not been active in the business since '07. But prior to that I had a total of about a quarter of a century as projectionist/owner/manager. And I ache to return to the business.

I think that those who are not successful with classics may be picking the wrong product. We can't assume that just because Bogy was popular back then that he will be as popular today (the best movie I ever saw him in was "The Cain Mutiny"). I never did think the guy could act. But back then we went to movies to see our favorite personalities and we didn't care if they could act. Today's thespians can act circles around the personalities of that era. I would go for stuff like "Singing In The Rain", "Hello Dolly", "McLintock" (and most any late John Wayne product), "The Pink Panther" and make them part of "festivals". You've got to promote them heavily (posters around town, newspapers, radio, TV and contact groups that may be interested in a particular film - drama clubs, senior groups, film classes), create displays in your theatre, have your staff costumed and introduce each film personally to your audience by giving some background on the film and actors.

I personally believe classics will work (I may be in the minority here) but it will take time to build that type of program. And don't buy into the lie that because the film is on DVD or that because TCM is doing it means it won't work in a theatre. I believe people prefer the theatre experience over watching it on the tube at home. So let's be showmen.
Bob Allen
The Old Showman

Re:product all dried up 20 Oct 2009 12:06 #32639

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
We did very well with Zombieland and we were able to get a print of Cloudy this week.

On the topic of playing classics. We have tried it at our singles and our 6 screen. And it never payed off. With the exception of Rocky Horror.

Re:product all dried up 23 Oct 2009 23:59 #32659

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Anyone else get a 'life saving deal' from Mickey's House?

1st run with Xmas Carol 3 weeks, then 2 1/2 weeks Old Puppy's and followed by froggies till the end of the year?
:woohoo:
:S
tony.

Re:product all dried up 06 Nov 2009 21:05 #32732

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
jeez, it has been just awful this season. :angry: It's awful tough not to get discouraged with crappy attendance like I've been having for months on end now. My last week that was better then average was in early August. Ever since it has been one disappointment after another. The holidays cannot get here fast enough!

For the love of all that is holy, please bring back my patrons!

OK, rant over........:blush:
"What a crazy business"

Re:product all dried up 06 Nov 2009 21:37 #32733

• sevstar
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
ttroidl wrote:
Anyone else get a 'life saving deal' from Mickey's House?

1st run with Xmas Carol 3 weeks, then 2 1/2 weeks Old Puppy's and followed by froggies till the end of the year?
:woohoo:
:S

We passed on it. Xmas Carol was too early for our market opening just one week after Halloween. And Princess & Frog would keep us from opening the bigger Family movie which is out during the Holiday school break between Christmas and New Years ..... Alvin.

Re:product all dried up 06 Nov 2009 22:33 #32734

• slapintheface
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
The art market has been very weeK SEPT and October
I believe this will be a so/so christmas many pictures look week.

Re:product all dried up 07 Nov 2009 22:12 #32740

• ttroidl
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Same here, just way too early... afterall who is in the Christmas sprit days after Halloween?

We ended up with what would be a 'Normal' crowd with any decent picture and can only HOPE as we get closer to Holiday time attandance won't dry up and will stay steady.

I understand WHY they bring the holiday pictures out so early but for a single screen it isn't good... and being stuck with 3 films for the rest of the year means we will miss all the big movies we could have gotten and were waiting for!

Bringing them in Jan or Feb won't fly cause who will want to see them after they are that old...

:angry:

Oh well!

Better 'normal' crowds than the ones we have been getting for the past few months!

Dunno what the terms are on this Pkg. so hope it's not too bad!
tony.

Re:product all dried up 09 Nov 2009 09:39 #32762

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
Christmas Carol is out now because Avatar has the date it should have. Both can't play at the same time because they want the most 3D screens. Christmas Carol should have taken the date Avatar has earlier. Avatar would do fine when ever it breaks.

Re:product all dried up 09 Nov 2009 10:55 #32767

• rufusjack
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
I looked at the last three years of product on this weekend in my area (Santa Clause 3, Bee Movie, & Mad. 2). The non-3d version of Christmas Carol only grossed 27-48% of the average of those 3. The 3d did 92-127%. The 127% is in the same town as the 27% non-3d. PLus the weather here this weekend in Missouri was 75-78 degrees which is about 15-20+ degrees warmer than normal. Not a good weekend for us.

Re:product all dried up 10 Nov 2009 10:11 #32776

• dsschoenborn
  • Platinum Boarder
So Rufus does that mean in the numbers its time to install the 3D equipment? What do you think?

Re:product all dried up 10 Nov 2009 19:51 #32785

• rufusjack
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
My sample was too small to make any conclusion as there were only 2 3d screens with one of them taking a big bite out of a 2d plex. Who knows what would have happened if both of those plexes had 3d. If I have time I will broaden out my sample.
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction