Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Reopening theater

Re: Reopening theater 08 Sep 2003 10:12 #9380

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Ken,

I've finally gotten the answer to some of your questions.

The projector is a Monee. It is an Indian-made copy of the Century SA. I've read posts about these machines and some opinions are against them and some are for them. I think I'll have to give it a shot. By "All-in-one" they mean that the projector and soundhead come as one unit. The soundhead has been converted to LED reverse scan. The brand of automation is called Calmar. I have fixed masking but this is supposed to handle movable masking if I ever get around to it. The platter has the alpha style not the cable style. That's about all I know about this stuff. I've got lots to learn about. Any good resources about projectors and soundheads, etc?

As far as the concession stand is concerned I think I'll be all right with a single stainless sink. I've heard about strict health regulations but I'm in a pretty rural area and I think the regulations are a bit more relaxed here. I heard of one guy who had to put in a sink just so he could clean his one "dish", the popcorn scoop! My wife is a hand-washing zealot so I have to put in a sink anyway.

Outtaframe,

Thanks for you rcomments. I'm meeting with the electrical guy today and we'll discuss conduit for the speakers. You guys talked me into it.

Bob,

Thanks for your comments. I hope to put showmanship back into vogue in my quiet little corner of the world.

Lee
"What a crazy business"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Reopening theater 08 Sep 2003 10:22 #9381

Even in conduit the wires need to be in twisted pairs to null out any cross magnetic induction
IF you use FT6 rated jacked cable then it can be run in free air
West Penn and other make a twisted jacketed stranded 12 guage speaker cable that is plenum rated
The twisting of speaker lines is the most important point

Re: Reopening theater 08 Sep 2003 13:16 #9382

• Mike
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 37
we put our speaker wires in conduit and then ran them free: spray painted black and kept the lights down for the inspect: all went well,
Michael Hurley
Impresario

Re: Reopening theater 08 Sep 2003 15:05 #9383

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
LEE <> I would seriously re-think the Monee film head/sound head you're considering... There are plenty of Simplex, Century, Ballentyne, Brenkert, & RCA units around, and they are a KNOWN quality with replacement parts available... A good used or rebuilt setup will probably cost less than what the Monee does, and you have something that is either fine as it is, or can be repaired as necessary... New is not necessarilly better, in the long pull...

Re: Reopening theater 08 Sep 2003 16:56 #9384

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
leeler:

The best resource for projectors and soundheads (and manuals!) is www.film-tech.com

Re: Reopening theater 08 Sep 2003 18:32 #9385

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
outtaframe,

I appreciate your comments. I was asured that the Monee would have parts available because they used the same parts (other than screws and nuts and so forth) as the Century. The service man who is selling me this projector has it warranteed and will be the one fixing it. I do trust him but you're making me worry a little bit. I am on a really tight budget and can't afford something extravagant but don't want to be stuck with a lemon either. He has assured me that this is a good projector/sound head and that it worked fine in the theater that he took it out of.

Ken,

Thanks for the link. That site goes right over my head, though. Is there a "Projecting for Dummies" book anywhere?

Lee
"What a crazy business"

Re: Reopening theater 08 Sep 2003 23:14 #9386

Never had any issues getting monee parts and some of the design features were superior to the century design

Re: Reopening theater 18 Sep 2003 08:29 #9387

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks Gordon. I needed some reassurance. I think I feel an ulcer coming on.....

Anyway, I think we're doing pretty good at this point. I have commitments from the contractors and the progress is coming along well.

I still have loads to do but I think it's coming together at this point. Installing the seats is one of the biggest jobs yet but I can't even begin that until the contractors are done in there which won't be for a few weeks yet. Meanwhile they're sitting in peices in a semi-truck about a block away along with about 500 extras. The high-school football team has volunteered to help unload them and we'll unload them, tag the best of the lot and put them all back this weekend only to be unloaded again when it's time to install.

The marquee is down now and getting refurbished. New neon, new chasers, everything. I should see that in a few weeks as well.

I have received my first of several shipments of projection equipment. We heaved the projector base up the stairs to the projection room (ugh, was that heavy) and got the equipment rack and automation unit. A few of the satellite speakers have come, too.

Anyway, that's the update for now. I'll keep everyone posted on updates. Thanks again for everyopne's input. This forum has been a lifesaver for me.

Lee
"What a crazy business"

Re: Reopening theater 18 Sep 2003 18:36 #9388

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
LEE <> Glad to hear that everything is coming together for you... RE: Monee, one just sold on Ebay (#3347980612)... Too far away for you to pick up, especially with all the rest that's going on for you at the moment, but thought you'd be interested in taking a look...

Re: Reopening theater 19 Sep 2003 12:42 #9389

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks outtaframe,

I saw the unit and I'm headed on over to film-tech to check out the PDF file manual.

for those of you checking out the ebay ad, use 3347980162 as the reference number. It is close to the number outtaframe gave with an important difference.

Thanks again.

Lee
"What a crazy business"

Re: Reopening theater 19 Sep 2003 13:47 #9390

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
LEE <> Woops!... Sorry about transposing a couple of the numbers: glad you found it, anyway... Good luck at Film-Tech, they keep changing things over there, and right now I can't access much, there...

Re: Reopening theater 03 Oct 2003 17:21 #9391

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
Must be time for an update.

Well, as some of you probably exptected we are delayhing the opening by a few weeks. It seems like nobody can get a firm handle on how long it takes to do some of the stuff we're doing. Anyway, the date is now November 6 and I have successfully booked my first movie (Secondhand Lions from New Line Cinema) for that date.

The progress is breathtaking on one hand and breathtakingly slow on the other. The once-gutted walls are starting to take shape, and the speaker and phone lines are now run. The seats have been sorted and are in pieces in people's garages awaiting the completion of the theater auditorium ceiling before they get cleaned and installed. The concession equipment is now all there as well as the majority of the projection and sound equipment. I have to assemble the screen frame and mount the screen on it before too long, too.

The marquee is taking longer than expected but should be a beautiful remodel of a 1941 classic with chasers, bright blue neon, and the name of the town on top in bright red neon.

I am running back and forth putting out fires as soon as I see 'em getting lit. It is the busiest time in my life but, oftentimes, it's playing the hurry up and wait game, too. I'm keeping my chin up and doing what I can but it is equal parts frustration and joy at this point.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's comments and support. I couldn't do it without you!

Lee

[This message has been edited by leeler (edited October 03, 2003).]
"What a crazy business"

Re: Reopening theater 03 Oct 2003 17:31 #9392

• Ken Layton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Don't forget to have the local newspaper come out and do some "progress" reports (with pictures!).

Re: Reopening theater 19 Oct 2003 21:31 #9393

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, I suppose it's time for an update. Opening is now less than three weeks away and I'm about ready to tear out my remaining hair. I have a theater that has just had the drywall put up (about 80% mudded and painted. Piles of projection equipment and speakers and still no seats! The seats are in various volunteers garages and the seatbacks have now been steam-cleaned. The seat bottoms themselves are next and as soon as the drop ceiling is in place and the floor painted we can finally install them. We are hanging fabric on the walls and that needs to get sewn and hung. The carpet needs to get laid. The screen frame needs to be put together and then the screen hung on it. The projection room needs painting and then equipment installed. The whole place needs one helluva vacuuming. The marquee comes back after a complete refurbishment this week. The concession stand needs painting, equipment installed, and supplies put in. Jeez, I've never been so busy in my life. The volunteers have been great and we washed over two hundred seatbacks and laid them on somebody's lawn to air dry. I owe lots of people big time. My laundry list of stuff to do gets longer the minute I step away from it for awhile.

Still, all in all, I think we have the bases covered, but there are so many things that still could go wrong that it's making me awfully nervous.

My nerves are shot and it's going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

There, I feel better (at least a little)

Lee

"What a crazy business"

Re: Reopening theater 19 Oct 2003 22:06 #9394

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
Welcome to the "fun" world of theater renovation!... You're lucky to have the (good) volunteer help: you'll get 'em all paid back someday, but it may take a while... Do yourself a favor: get the hell away from it for a night: go out to dinner and take in a movie (har, har, har)... Next morning it'll still all be there, and you'll have a fresh outlook... Keeping an eye on ya... Have fun!...
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction