Banner
Home Forums Movie Theaters The Lobby Looking for a theater.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for a theater.

Re: Looking for a theater. 30 Apr 2004 14:16 #8127

• revrobor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Hey Ken!

Allstar is advertising for a GM for the Blythe theatre in the May Boxoffice. I've been through Blythe and, frankly, can't imagine why anyone would want to go there.

Bob Allen
The Old Showman
Bob Allen
The Old Showman
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Looking for a theater. 30 Apr 2004 22:14 #8128

• newtothis
  • Fresh Boarder
I could have taken the ribbing had anyone pointed out what was wrong with my request and I certainly never expected anyone to do a lot of research for me, just a reply if anyone knew of anything.

Now that you have been gentlemen enough to be very, very informative as well as humourous, I will - in turn - apologize for asking a not too bright question and being thin skinned.

Thank you all very much for the pointers.

Re: Looking for a theater. 01 May 2004 03:00 #8129

• outaframe
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, "New," let's shake hands and make up... You can't be hanged for not realizing everything involved in answering your innocent question!... I'm relatively new around here myself, but have witnessed at least 25 to 30 newbies who show up all bright-eyed and full of enthusiasm, and ask the same questions that have been hashed to death in the past... After we spend a lot of time and effort to start them on the right path, they just disappear and are never heard from again... So, I guess we have become a bit testy and reluctant to waste time with another neophite... Then there are the rare ones who make it all worthwhile: Leeler and Sals are a couple of newbies who asked intelligent questions, dug through the archives, did their homework, then ACTUALLY did something about it... AND as we speak, both are in the "Biz" and doing well!... That's the kinda thing that makes this all worthwhile: hats off to BOTH of them!...

Back in the late mid-1960's I moved to the area you're interested in... I had jobs with a couple of LA based chains and the intention to work a couple of years for them, then buy my own theater in the area... During my time off, I scoured the coast from Frisco down to San Diego, and several inland locations, as well... Nearly all real estate agents in every city had a listing of theaters for sale, or lease, and scuttlebutt on film row gave me a lot of options to choose from... I did find several locations that suited my needs, but my (then) wife cried daily to move back East, so that we did...

Well, our kids are long since grown up and gone, the cat we had died years ago, and my (then) wife just married her third husband... A search through Cinematour indicates two of the theaters where I worked are gone, and the other one is now owned by the city and is a live performance center... All of the theaters I considered buying are either gone, or used for something else, and both chains I worked for have been swallowed up by someone else, so any info I had about the area, is now more historical than topical...

But if you are now located in that area, check with all the real estate agents and brokers you can find in the yellow pages, and spend your time off driving from town to town, and talking to the locals... I know, with a little detective work, you are certain to find some possibilities!... THEN, if there is something we can help you with, please just ask...

[This message has been edited by outaframe (edited May 01, 2004).]

Re: Looking for a theater. 02 May 2004 11:10 #8130

• leeler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
stop it, you're making me blush

Anyway, this forum has been great for me and I've learned tons!

My hats off to everyone here that has participated. This is a tough business to break into and I basically bought this place on a wing and a prayer with no knowledge whatsoever. Well, the sink or swim philosophy wouldn't have worked withiout this forum. Kudos all around!

"What a crazy business"

Re: Looking for a theater. 07 May 2004 10:28 #8131

• sals
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Me too, Outa! Thanks...for the enouraging words and for the invaluable advice!

I might still be eying that neighborhood theater if not for this forum! It's populated with wise and generous people.

Keep looking and talk to people in town, they can tell you more than any real estate person might be willing to. Good luck!

Sally....in NY earning money for the new sound system as we speak, at the Tribeca Film Festival. Just ran a double bill of KILL BILL last night, both volumes.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
attraction attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction
attraction